Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    You may want to look into a Auxiliary Focusing Attachment, takes a bit to get used to since there is going to be
    two focusing knobs, but it will alleviate the need for multiple lens cones should you want to use lenses other
    than 135mm for 4x5 enlarging.
    Thanks Jim will do!

Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Quote Originally Posted by PureQuill Photo View Post
    Thanks! Great info. I love the idea of the turret but I think I may go with separate lens boards to avoid alignment issues.
    Congrats on your purchase!

Just a reminder – lens board or not, alignment will always be an important issue...

The main idea is to make sure the baseboard, lens stage, and negative stage are all parallel to each other. Making them parallel isn't so complicated, once you have an appropriate bubble level and learn how to control each element and their relationships to each other.

It would be fun to see images of your ongoing set up. ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Congrats on your purchase!

Just a reminder – lens board or not, alignment will always be an important issue...

The main idea is to make sure the baseboard, lens stage, and negative stage are all parallel to each other. Making them parallel isn't so complicated, once you have an appropriate bubble level and learn how to control each element and their relationships to each other.

It would be fun to see images of your ongoing set up. ;^)
    Thanks for the advise.

I took some photos last night but the files were too large to post. I will shoot them agin using low res jpegs!
    Photos to come!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7036.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	107765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7038.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	107766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7040.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	107767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7053.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	107768

Photos of my $30 Craig’s List find...1 less piece of great gear that wont be going to the land fill any time soon!
    The Lens turret reminds me of “Oh no Mr. Bill!"
    Pure Quill is an old New England expression meaning “The genuine article...the real thing, authentic, or not phony”

Looks almost new, you did good.
    It looks like a D5 Pro Lab, look at the rear of the mount where it meets the baseboard, Omega used to put a label there but they nearly always fall off.
    I have 3 D5's, 1 XL and 2 regular, they are well made and sturdy.

Hi Martin
    Says its a D5XL Chassis & a Universal DV Lamp house.
    Pure Quill is an old New England expression meaning “The genuine article...the real thing, authentic, or not phony”

Great deal!
    Happy printing!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Great deal on a very nice enlarger. Congratulations!

I am so glad you received the baseboard as part of the package! That component is important because it is how the girders link and line up with the base. Without the correct linking components, the rest of the enlarger is almost worthless.

You received a terrific deal - even if you had paid the original $100 being asked. Even though I do not currently have a darkroom, when I do build another, it will be anchored by an Omega.

Now, let's see some of your work.

BTW, I just saw several Omega negative carriers at Wing's Camera in Atlanta. Tell Mike I sent you.

Wings Camera and Digital
    www.wingscamera.com/‎
    3100 Briarcliff Road NE
    Atlanta, Georgia 30329
    (404) 636-4406

My other suggestion is to buy several of the correct light bulbs for the Omega enlarger when you can because the US gumint has ruled that incandescent light bulbs should no longer be available. While enlarger bulbs are not ones the typical consumer would purchase, the reduction in manufacturing of "standard" incandescent light bulbs will mean your enlarger bulbs will be harder to find and/or be more expensive. So buy all you can now.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    I am so glad you received the baseboard as part of the package! That component is important because it is how the girders link and line up with the base. Without the correct linking components, the rest of the enlarger is almost worthless.

You received a terrific deal - even if you had paid the original $100 being asked. Even though I do not currently have a darkroom, when I do build another, it will be anchored by an Omega.

Now, let's see some of your work.

BTW, I just saw several Omega negative carriers at Wing's Camera in Atlanta. Tell Mike I sent you.

Wings Camera and Digital
    www.wingscamera.com/‎
    3100 Briarcliff Road NE
    Atlanta, Georgia 30329
    (404) 636-4406

My other suggestion is to buy several of the correct light bulbs for the Omega enlarger when you can because the US gumint has ruled that incandescent light bulbs should no longer be available. While enlarger bulbs are not ones the typical consumer would purchase, the reduction in manufacturing of "standard" incandescent light bulbs will mean your enlarger bulbs will be harder to find and/or be more expensive. So buy all you can now.

Terry
    Thanks Terry
    Great advise & I will stock up and “Hoard’’ the correct bulbs while they are still availabe. LOL!
    I have a nice stash of mercury PX-13 batteries for my Luna Pro lightmeter & my Topcon Super DM.

I feel like the “universe" ,“God" or what ever you chose to call it has directed me back to LF.
    I have some nice 20 x24 LF prints from 35 years ago but posting digital copies here seems a bit pointless.

Here are some recent images of scanned RVP & digital captures. If you are interested in seeing what I shoot.

http://pure-quill-photo.deviantart.com/

Zero photo shop on all images & while there are some nice “Captures”.
    All of images are missing that certain something that makes large format worth the extra effort & expense.
    I am looking forward to starting over & returning to what happens when all the stars align & I am able to reproduce the image I saw in my minds eye unimpeded by the limits of the medium that I am using.
    PQ