Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: On craft and life.

Re: On craft and life.

Same is true of the Georgia O'Keefe foundation/trust. They consider it a "brand" that must be protected and profited from. They even attempted to have her name removed from an elementary school here, even though Georgia dedicated it when it opened.

To be clear, Ansel was incredibly famous long before Turnage and long before he was rich.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

Why am I sick of the letter "A", esp when used in a pair? It's not the associated images or career I dislike, but merely the stuck record.

Remember the Juan Hamilton inheritance legal fiasco...

Protecting the "brand" by those who continue to profit from the work of the artist.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Same is true of the Georgia O'Keefe foundation/trust. They consider it a "brand" that must be protected and profited from. They even attempted to have her name removed from an elementary school here, even though Georgia dedicated it when it opened.

To be clear, Ansel was incredibly famous long before Turnage and long before he was rich.

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Evan, first thing. Do not use my email anymore to send personal attacks and obscenity. This is a specific request.

Quoting you from previous posts:

"Do any of you guys know what it means to be stuck with a skill and tortured and imprisoned by it? Do you like to do THINGS because you HAVE TO? Do you like to rationalize your opinion of yourself by the yardstick of sales. Do you like your job because you like it? What would you do with no restrictions from life or opinions? I would make Photographs.."

"...I've been a slave all my life , trying to make good things and please others. I do photography in order to enjoy the world without pleasing anybody else. My point in this thread is that selling stuff isn't a measure of one's value and that we should all do what we do for the pure interest."

Sorry you feel you were a SLAVE all your working life. I have a feeling at least 90% of the worlds population would trade places with you, what ever your life's problems are. I think you need some perspective on that. I hope you find some.

Having almost died 5 years ago I can say that if you're still living, every day is a blessing, no matter what kind of trouble or heartache it brings.

The last statement of yours quoted is a big step back from your first one. I think it is unrealistic and disconnected from the reality of what the world is but it doesn't denigrate people anywhere near what your "whore" statement did.

Bob Smith
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

If a photograph of beer looked good and helped the brewery make money, then that's worthwhile. The brewery needs that photo for its advertisement. If the photo "works", the viewer will start salivating - and anticipation is pleasant. "Commercial" doesn't mean "bad", "popular" doesn't mean "bad". Arthur Sullivan longed to be remembered as a serious classical composer. He gave great pleasure to the world as the composer of light opera (Gilbert, the librettist, and Sullivan). Many more people have enjoyed his light opera output than have enjoyed the serious opera output of Benjamin Britten, another highly productive composer for the stage. (I enjoy both composers).

Look at commercial photography as being analogous to engineering or medicine, and fine art photography as being analogous to basic science. I am disappointed that I didn't make any important scientific discoveries but assuage that disappointment with the knowledge that I have served patients with my diagnostic skills and taught the next generation of doctors and pathologists. Definitely my clinical job of pathologist has a strong craft element.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Same is true of the Georgia O'Keefe foundation/trust. They consider it a "brand" that must be protected .
    It is largely about greed, no?

When one of my brothers first published on the 'net his page with original scholarship regarding Duchamp, in particular Duchamp's Large Glass, he was threatened by an ad hoc group. His reply? "Make my day." Their threats dissolved.

His site: http://www.understandingduchamp.com/author/duchamp.html