Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: On craft and life.

Re: On craft and life.

Hi Darin, No, he's just a fan. I've been a slave all my life , trying to make good things and please others. I do photography in order to enjoy the world without pleasing anybody else. My point in this thread is that selling stuff isn't a measure of one's value and that we should all do what we do for the pure interest.

The bottom lines is that if you don't want the answer, don't pose the question..

i appreciate your honesty. I may not agree with your philosophy though. I can understand how difficulties may bring about a negative outlook on one's place in the universe, , and there have been moments where i've felt 'not heard' with my art. I have debates with friends on how much of an audience is necessary for a conversation.

There are times I wish that more would put value in my vision.. but I can't change how I see. So with that I am content. If I wanted, I know how to make pictures that sell to the masses. I can go to many of the tourist spots and see what does and doesn't work with a market. I know enough technical/craft, that I can emulate most styles.

But I won't begrudge Michael Kenna, Roman Loranc, or any of those who can earn a living producing what their heart feels, and eyes see. They bring joy to both themselves and to those who might appreciate what they're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    The thread is "On craft and life ". I do both and am trying to be honest about my feelings..persecute me for honesty..

Hi Jim,
    I think people want to buy what they make, I don't think they re trying to sell. It's a really subtle issue.

Kirk, You have hit on the essence of it, If people BUY it, excellent. If you are selling it, it's another story. My point is that you must do the things you do for pure reasons.
    I've been mired in this issue for 50 years and know that the act of selling has no bearing on my value as a person. The thread is titled "On craft and life". I have serious input. Kirk, if you get up in the morning and need to sell something to get by, does that fulfill you?
    Evan, I am beginning to understand where you are coming from. I think the word whore put me off. Using that word does seem aimed at getting peoples back up.

Look, I have to do something to pay the bills. I come from a lower middle class working family. There is nothing to fall back on but my labor. I have to sell my commercial photography, that's what pays the bills and keeps the bank away from my door. Thats what put the kids through college. But that is not to say that I haven't attempted to excel with it and satisfy my own aesthetic and craft demands with it. I do sell my art work and while that income is useful it is not necessary-it largely pays for the materials and gas. I would do it anyway as it is the thing in my life that is the most satisfying-but since I don't "need" the money, it allows me to do what the hell I want-if it sells great-if not that's ok too. I mainly show in museums and institutions-not commercial galleries. My sales largely come from people who see those shows. Whenever I have thought about making art photos for a market the images have failed miserably in the market and ultimately for myself personally.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Evan, I am beginning to understand where you are coming from. I think the word whore put me off. Using that word does seem aimed at getting peoples back up.

Look, I have to do something to pay the bills. I come from a lower middle class working family. There is nothing to fall back on but my labor. I have to sell my commercial photography, that's what pays the bills and keeps the bank away from my door. Thats what put the kids through college. But that is not to say that I haven't attempted to excel with it and satisfy my own aesthetic and craft demands with it. I do sell my art work and while that income is useful it is not necessary-it largely pays for the materials and gas. I would do it anyway as it is the thing in my life that is the most satisfying-but since I don't "need" the money, it allows me to do what the hell I want-if it sells great-if not that's ok too. I mainly show in museums and institutions-not commercial galleries. My sales largely come from people who see those shows. Whenever I have thought about making art photos for a market the images have failed miserably in the market and ultimately for myself personally.
    Hi Kirk, I'm sorry I used the word but it's frustrating to try and excel and then need sales. I wish the world was based on pure objectives, I'm old and see the error of my ways...too late to correct my previous actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I haven't, not once in nearly 3 decades teaching at universities.
    What Evan said to which I referred was this.

"No, But if one considers photography to be "art", then selling it is bogus. Art should be done for your own fulfillment. The western world is consumed by the need to get money for everything they do and selling is not a mark of achievement..Selling just makes photography product. Think about the crappy products around you, do you want to be oart of that with your photographs? Wal-Pic? "

Are you serious in that you have never heard these ideas expressed by any of your colleagues in the art departments at the places where you have taught?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Hi Kirk, I'm sorry I used the word but it's frustrating to try and excel and then need sales. I wish the world was based on pure objectives, I'm old and see the error of my ways...too late to correct my previous actions.
    My way of thinking is that it's always too late to correct previous actions.

The past is all sunk costs, of course. Might as well make peace with it.

The future however, is all about new investment of time, money, and emotion. Don't let the past dictate your future.

Easier said than done, I realize--but a guiding principle nonetheless.

--Darin

Darin, I have little future, thus the problem. I am reflecting on my mistakes and this post shot me in the gut.

I dreamed about Jiro last night. I was so absurd, walked up to the door, peeked in and asked if I could take his portrait. In my dream I apologised for almost giving him a heart attack by yelling "Hey Jiro" as he walked to the escalator, I tried to catch him before he could fall. He turned and was very pleasant... agreed to allow me to take his picture... and at least two perfect opportunities (still in a dream) I hadn't pulled the dark slide or couldn't get the tripod planted. Another odd part of the dream, every time I turned to do something, somebody would put my camera or tripod away. The entire time he was patient with me and not at all annoyed.