Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get darkroom equipment?

Re: Where to get darkroom equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by gemian View Post
    I wanted to start a dark room in my basement. I was wondering what i needed in the way of hardware, not chemicals. What is the machine called that projects the negative on to the print? And where can i get one? Also is there any other machine i will need.
    P.S. Where can i find safe lights?
    This is a joke right??

I don't think it is a joke but someone who search for and don't know the goods terms for equipment.

Gemian, as you are still new member here, you don't see the "For sale" section (need to wait 1 month) In this section, a lot of darkroom equipments are listed and sometime for free or at very low cost.
    In the meantime you can say us where you are located and what camera do you have, medium format, 4x5 ? the enlarger you need will be dicted by the camera format.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Sent a D2 to landfill couple years ago, couldn't give it away on craigslist or rollanet. They're out there for free.....just have to keep looking everyday.

And I "recycled" an Eastman 5x7 Autofocus enlarger at the dump because I couldn't give it away (kept the Eastman Projection Anastigmat lens though)...
    By the way gemian, the key word you were looking for is "enlarger."

A book would be, I think, you're first move here. You can also find many resources here on the LF Home Page and other sites to cover the basics and fundamentals.

We all had to start somewhere, but it's best to have at least some basic foundation of knowledge and terminology (so you can ask intelligent questions) before jumping right in and start building your darkroom.

Have you ever used a film camera before? Do you have some idea of what has to happen between pressing the shutter button and realizing a finished photographic print?

These might be some starting points to think about first. You'll figure out what enlargers and safelights are for along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    I have a Berkley Omega 760 with 50mm lens. Bought out the equipment from some one nearby leaving the hobby. Don't need two of everything. If your not too far from Central Kentucky.
    Berkley is a city near San Francisco with a very good darkroom store, Looking Glass.
    Berkey was the manufacturer of your Omega enlarger after the Simmons Brothers sold out to Berkey.
    Satter Omega is the current owner of Omega.

Drew Wiley

It's spelled "Berkeley", Bob, and is not "outside" SF, but opposite it - given the fact that these two cities are full equals in craziness, if not in overall population. It is also therefore appropriately spelled, "Berserkely". However, Looking Glass has recently relocated relatively close to the freeway - more conveniently for many of us, but perhaps less so for UC students. There is a fantastic produce market right across the street.

Typo. Actually, is it not "Berzerkeley" ?

--
    Jac who had family in SF, Berzerkeley, Oakland and El Cerrito.

Drew Wiley

Call it whatever you want. I merely work here. I moved out of town after, in a single week, 1)Patti Hearst was kidnapped by the SLA directly across the street from my apt, twenty minutes before I arrived home from work, 2) when the very next day there was an incipient shootout on the same street by about six guys dressed up like cowboys but on LSD, who imagined they were at the OK Corral, and indeed had live bullets, and 3)when that weekend there was a Keystone Cops style raidon a house across the street blasting unbelievably loud music, with tie-dyed curtains, and hippies shimmying out windows and down downspouts. So I moved into a nice flat in El Cerrito. But it happened to be next door to a rented warehouse, which happened to be filled to the chock with bombs and automatic weapons because of a doomesday plot by an infamous local cult, which fortunately got caught before truly going berzerk. And fortunately, at that point in life I was able to buy my own house further away, and now mainly worry about keeping a porch full of berzerk cats happy.

Les

Drew, you totally blew it. You had all this drama outside the window and you didn't use it as opportunity ? I mean, even if you didn't even try (and without even adding the 2000yr theories/fiasco)....that's a book unfolding, no ? Further, that would be way better than tv....just stick your head outside the window. OK, OK, diversity has it's issues too....

Les