Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why was NASA shooting black-and-white?

Re: Why was NASA shooting black-and-white?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lemasters View Post
    Ummm... what colors would you anticipate seeing on the surface of the moon?
    The Moon is far from monochrome, although the colors are subtle. Also, the hardware and people definitely had color. Color/BW has the same tradeoff on the Moon as the Earth.

On Apollo 12 Conrad and Bean landed very close to Surveyor 3 which had been on the Moon since April 1967. All the pictures of Surveyor are in monochrome because they brought the wrong film from the LEM.

As for why B&W in the first place.....maybe it took longer to get color prints back from the drugstore? This was 1968, after all......

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lemasters View Post
    Ummm... what colors would you anticipate seeing on the surface of the moon?
    Astronauts were very surprised when they discovered many colors of the Moon surface. Some color films filmed there show green, white, reddish etc.

Well, I have half a mind!

Quote Originally Posted by hoffner View Post
    Astronauts were very surprised when they discovered many colors of the Moon surface. Some color films filmed there show green, white, reddish etc.
    OK, I understand that some color would be inevitable, it just seems that it would be so overwhelmingly shades of gray(ish) that the use of color film would be of little real value.

hacker extraordinaire

Of little artistic or aesthetic value perhaps, but color information is very important to scientists. I believe the recent mars probes have hyperspectral cameras even though humans only need RGB cameras...color information is extremely valuable.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Interesting thread, there has to be a lot of people out there that know the answer to this. I met a guy, ironically in Yellowstone Park in 1977, that had been a NASA photographer and quit. You won't believe this, sounds like a Drew Wiley post, but he was at the time a candy salesman and delivery person for the concessions in the park. On a visit to his house in Roberts, Montana, which is 10 miles from Red Lodge MT. he showed me an incredible folder of photos. There were photos of the moon, mars and the ones he took himself of fighter jets going way faster than what the government was telling us at the time. I remember there being black and white and color photos. I wonder if the speed of film had a factor in this? His name was Chuck something, a great guy and I hope he has been having a good life.
    Thad Gerheim

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

I would look at it in a different way. Red, Blue or Green happen to be the names of three wavelengths (or frequencies) than human eyes are sensitive to. I'm pretty sure many cameras and lens ending in the space were/are designed to target a specific WL, some pretty distant from the visible spectrum.

Many of the "color" images you see from space missions are "multi-spectral images", where they used multiple images each with a filter for a specific wavelength of light to create the "color" image that was desired. By controlling the wavelengths recorded, the image analysts can derive a lot of useful information about the physical composition of the object that is being imaged.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Gerheim View Post
    Interesting thread, there has to be a lot of people out there that know the answer to this. I met a guy, ironically in Yellowstone Park in 1977, that had been a NASA photographer and quit. You won't believe this, sounds like a Drew Wiley post, but he was at the time a candy salesman and delivery person for the concessions in the park. On a visit to his house in Roberts, Montana, which is 10 miles from Red Lodge MT. he showed me an incredible folder of photos. There were photos of the moon, mars and the ones he took himself of fighter jets going way faster than what the government was telling us at the time. I remember there being black and white and color photos. I wonder if the speed of film had a factor in this? His name was Chuck something, a great guy and I hope he has been having a good life.
    Haha I loved the first part about commenting on how this sounds like a Drew post it totally does..!!

Anyway this Chuck character might be in trouble now that you've given him away on all of his leaking of top-secret images

Some info on what they did shoot:

Each film magazine would typically yield 160 color and 200 black and white pictures on special film. Kodak was asked by NASA to develop thin new films with special emulsions. On Apollo 8, three magazines were loaded with 70 mm wide, perforated Kodak Panatomic-X fine-grained, 80 ASA, b/w film, two with Kodak Ektachrome SO-68, one with Kodak Ektachrome SO-121, and one with super light-sensitive Kodak 2485, 16,000 ASA film. There were 1100 color, black and white, and filtered photographs returned from the Apollo 8 mission.

http://history.nasa.gov/printFriendly/apollo_photo.html

Thomas

For those interested in NASA Pictures from the moon: check out the book "Full moon" by Michael Light which shows many inspiring pictures from various Apollo missions.

BTW, it is a mix of color and B&W, so I assume they had both types of film on board. It says ín the book that they used B&W negative films and color transparencies.

Greetings, Thomas