Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Large format in the wild!

Re: Large format in the wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick13 View Post
    Wonder if I could get away with a crown graphic at the Long Beach GP, it's usually pretty crowded but there are some bridge vantage spots that would work... Maybe my 6x9 back and some Ektar otherwise I'd go broke. Thanks for the idea
    I have used my speed graphic at Limerock, Road Atlanta's Mitty and Mount Washington hillclimb, in large part for vintage activities. Long Beach GP isn't vintage, but you could still make some unique and creative images by using an old camera instead of the usual mega-dslr and monster lens that most people have.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    we all know who that is. pretty famous californian
    I've only seen other lf'ers in california, nowhere else.
    Okay, I give up -- who is it?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If you're at the beach you might be able to clear a spot, show up after not shaving for a week, don't comb your hair after getting up in the morning and walk with a gimp, mumble to yourself, and drool a little, then you'll have a nice scenic view with no one in your frame lines
    Nope. Doesn't work. But people will keep their kids away from you.

John Olsen

On location at Ft. Ebey State Park at the gun battery. A nice lady photographer was coming by in the process of doing a senior portrait at the battery and snapped a shot of me also. That's the Puget Sound in the background on a misty last-day-of-year. I only took one exposure (f22, 50s) and will develop it tomorrow. Dark and gloomy are us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Olsen by LHP 123113comp.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	107559

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    On location at Ft. Ebey State Park at the gun battery. A nice lady photographer was coming by in the process of doing a senior portrait at the battery and snapped a shot of me also. That's the Puget Sound in the background on a misty last-day-of-year. I only took one exposure (f22, 50s) and will develop it tomorrow. Dark and gloomy are us.

Name:	Olsen by LHP 123113comp.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	107559
    Nice everything, but I'm drawn to the tripod and it's "shelf" for hanging your dark cloth (black jacket?).

John Olsen

Nice everything, but I'm drawn to the tripod and it's "shelf" for hanging your dark cloth (black jacket?).
    It's a Gitzo Studex (?) from 1988 and the up down tilt control lever is about 1' long, convenient for hanging my dark cloth. The 3 axis head is solid and minutely adjustable: I use this tripod even for digicam work when the alignment of the frame is critical. The down side is that the tripod is 17 lbs. of steel. I've never met a loose dog who wasn't intimidated by it in full swing, but it is a little too much for real hiking.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I'm honestly the only LF shooter I've ever met let alone seen in the wild, hah! I almost made it to a LF meetup but I thought it was at night but instead it was at 2pm... Old guys go to sleep so early... LOL

I do know on friend who ordered a brand new $7,500 4x5 got it, and then sold it for $5,000 for no foreseeable reason except he decided to shoot digital instead... Insane... We had planned to go out shooting together sometime and then sold his before my body came on the mail... Hah!

I would be so excited to just to meet any LF'rs
    I don't know of anyone around here that shoots LF, since I have been shooting large format I have seen 1 person on the side of the road near Gatlinburg tenn. shooting what looked like an 8x10, hadn't see another.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Large format in the wild!

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    I don't know of anyone around here that shoots LF, since I have been shooting large format I have seen 1 person on the side of the road near Gatlinburg tenn. shooting what looked like an 8x10, hadn't see another.
    Gregory Crewdson teaches at Yale, 25 minutes from where I live but I haven't seen him either... Lol

Gregory Crewdson teaches at Yale, 25 minutes from where I live but I haven't seen him either... Lol
    But I don't think Crewdson actually touches the camera, might be hard to a get a shot to post here...

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    But I don't think Crewdson actually touches the camera, might be hard to a get a shot to post here...

--Darin
    He's touching the tripod/dark cloth at least...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388869764.565915.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	107677 (not my shot, Wikipedia)