Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rodney Lough Jr.. Anyone familiar with this photographer?

Re: Rodney Lough Jr.. Anyone familiar with this photographer?

My understanding is that, just like Peter Lik - with whom he shares many traits - Rodney Lough has gotten where he is by work and sheer business savvy combined with the necessary dose of talent and oversize ego which excludes any shame at self-aggrandizing/promotion. Originality does not seem to be necessary for success in that market. Both of them started with local galleries, then progressively invested into more high-profile locations, so I do not think they relied on a specific patron. Peter Lik used to have a Fisherman's Wharf gallery too, but closed it. Looks like the place to be is Vegas. I stepped quickly into the new Rodney Lough gallery in SF, and found it truly impressive, was looking forward to spending some time there, so I'm sorry to read it closed. Great insider information on Peter Lik's business, which I think is quite similar to Lough's, is provided by his former sales associate (art consultant in their parlance) Scott Reither: http://scottreither.com/blogwp/tag/peter-lik/
    Last edited by QT Luong; 20-Dec-2013 at 21:21.

gregmo was correct about the funding of the SF (and also Las Vegas) gallery http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...pe-1545924.htm

I met Rodney 6 or 7 years ago in Yosemite valley. A buddy and I were photographing and we started up a conversation with Rodney, who was also out with his camera. I had never heard of him before meeting him. I found him to be a real nice guy, friendly and outgoing, but he does have a very high opinion of himself and his work, which he is not shy about sharing. I have never seen his prints, but have visited his website a few times. He does a real nice job with the 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    gregmo was correct about the funding of the SF (and also Las Vegas) gallery http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...pe-1545924.htm
    Generating money for a project such as Lough's is quite feasible. Having the "right connections" to one of many investment firms that specialize in placing funds for the multitude of "family offices" with tons of wealth management money makes this possible. Oftentimes such placements can be highly speculative.

Of course, a reasonable business plan is necessary and a track record to support, very helpful. In Rodney's case, the already functioning gallery in Las Vegas certainly helped and proved such a project could be successful.

On another note, regarding the incredible million dollar sale of the Peter Lik photograph a few years back -- I heard, but have no way of knowing if true, that the sale and purchase of the photograph was a promotional stunt orchestrated by some investors who funded Lik and wanted to further boost recognition of his name.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

The numbers don't really seem to match. In Lough's (former) assistant's blog he describes the one gallery as doing up to $700k a month in sales. Then the angle fund PR piece is talking about raising a million for a new venture. If you a running a business with $700k a month in sales--or even $500k or $300k--coming up with a million to expand seems fairly easy. Why go to outside investors and dilute ownership? Any finance people out there?

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    The numbers don't really seem to match. In Lough's (former) assistant's blog he describes the one gallery as doing up to $700k a month in sales. Then the angle fund PR piece is talking about raising a million for a new venture. If you a running a business with $700k a month in sales--or even $500k or $300k--coming up with a million to expand seems fairly easy. Why go to outside investors and dilute ownership? Any finance people out there?

--Darin
    you've got your photographers mixed up. the blog belongs to LIK's former assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    you've got your photographers mixed up. the blog belongs to LIK's former assistant.
    Whoops! You're right. Oh, I'm so confused...

--Darin