Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please advise on a suitable field camera

Please advise on a suitable field camera

My Sinar F1 is great near the car but I must lessen my burden in order to venture further afield.

I don't have lots to spend and I want to go as light as possible.

I am considering: Wista DXII (3.4 lb), used Wista VX (5.3 lb, heavier but more stable and bag bellows possible), Toyo CF(3.4 lb). I will use 90mm to 300mm lenses.

The only back movement I need is tilt so that limitation is not a problem.

Would those with experience please let me know the relative merits of these cameras and any others that they feel are suitable.

I suggest a camera with a bellows at least 25% longer than the longest lens you want to use. I also suggest a bag/wide angle bellows for anything less than 90mm

steve simmons

I had a Wista DXII. It was a nice enough camera, but I don't think it was worth the money. If you are looking at a wooden field camera of that style, you might consider a Shen Hao or a Tachihara instead. Pretty close to a comparable camera for a lot less money. I have seen and played with the Toyo CF. I was not very impressed at all. My $0.02 worth.

Wista DXII has 12 inches of bellows extension, compared with 13+ inches with comparable (and less expensive) cameras such as Tachihara and Shen Hao. Non-tele 300mm will probably focus but only at infinity, which to me is a major limitation of Wista. You might feel the same given your priorities.

I don't know much about VX but am also curious to know how it fares as a "poor man's Technika."

Hiro,

The 12 inches of bellows on both the Wista VX and DXII was a concern for me, since my longest lens is a 300mm. There are 17mm and 33mm extension lensboards available. The 17 will allow me to focus to 4 meters, close enough for what I want in the field, but short enough so there will not be any reflections from inside the extension tube to reduce contrast.

From what I have read the VX seems like a well made camera and reasonably light at 5.3 lb. But I leaning towards a camera below 4 lb, which is why the Shen Hao is out and the DXII sounds good at 3.3 lb, as does the Tachihara.

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Lighter than anything you are considering, plus full movements for both standards. Might be worth a look. I've been very happy with mine for the last three years. Of course, YMMV.

Bruce Watson

Ron,

Wista makes extension beds and bellows so more then 20" of extension is possible on the Wista VX, SP and RF as well as on some Wista wood cameras. All Wista cameras also accept extented lens boards with extension rings to add a few inches of extension if the extra bed and bellows is not an option for you.

before I finally gave up on my Sinar F, I had put an adapter lens board on the Sinar to allow use of Linhof Technika boards on my 5 lenses. I am sure that lost a couple of pounds and defintely a whole lot of bulk versus the Sinar boards!

Ha, I'd keep the Sinar and adapt it with a shorter rail and Wilbur's Technika adaptor board. Or swap it for an Arca or Norma and have the best of both worlds. Better to have one all arounder than two incompatible systems...

Wilber, thanks for the tip, I've done that also. Definately a step in the right direction since now I can use a small Gnass lens case and a smaller pack. The pack I had weighed 10 lb alone. But there are a few long hikes I want to take so I hope to find a used camera less than about 4.5lb.

The Wisner expedition also looks good at 4.5 lb and 20" bellows.

I am very happy with all aspects of the Sinar except the weight, it will do until I can find a used Wista or Wisner.