Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Track lighting suggestions?

John Olsen

Re: Track lighting suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Dumb questions: Which pic is which? What does that mean "manufacturer's current limit now" - limit of what?
    Sorry ROL. The top one is so ugly that I failed to be more explicit. I'm still waiting for some 2700 degree LEDs to replace these 2400s.

And by "current limit" I meant the amount of electrical current the tracks are warranted to carry. When we do switch to LEDs in the future, we will have a much better safety margin. We're taking this transition slowly as switching 84 lights represents a big investment.

Drew Wiley

High-quality LED's that will fit in ordinary voltage track fixtures are still in the approx forty buck range per bulb, esp in the selection I'm interested in (4000K, approaching 90CRI, but not quite there). Warm bulbs way down there in the 2000's K give a poor rendition of blues etc. But probably better than the CFL's out there,
    which are no doubt an interim technology anyway, as LED lighting steadily improves. So I'm just tinkering and experimenting now, because LED prices will slowly drift
    down and the color quality go up.

i am renovating my gallery and installing a new lighting system. i am thinking 3500-5000k would be excellent. on a budget of course. but i want something good because almost everything i have bought cheap i have regretted in the end.

i have spent the last hour reading this thread. so which bulbs?! lol

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by algarzai View Post
    i am renovating my gallery and installing a new lighting system. i am thinking 3500-5000k would be excellent. on a budget of course. but i want something good because almost everything i have bought cheap i have regretted in the end.

i have spent the last hour reading this thread. so which bulbs?! lol
    I'd still go with the Costco bulbs, on rebate. The new ones have a better CRI than the ones I bought and for about ten dollars a bulb....try a few before spending $$$$ on a high-end system that the customer won't be able to replicate at home anyway.

--Darin

Drew Wiley

The problem with excellent bulbs like Solux is that ugly low-e products are being mandated by code. Now to get a legal bulb you have to either put up with something toxic like mercury or severe eyestrain, or a fire hazard. That's what I call progress!

Not around here, at least not yet! If color is important for the images, then I really don't know of a better option than Solux. Even the 90 cri alternatives can lead to dramatic color shifts. For bw, that might be ok.... I use Solux at home for my picture lights. They're not that expensive, and you don't have to use their fixtures.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Classic tungsten gallery lighting is 3600K and that will work well if the gallery as a whole is lit at those sorts of temps. You could also use about 5200K (sunlight) but that requires that you don't use tungsten lighting elsewhere, or the prints will look like they're in blue highlights.