Thread: Table size for 60-inch matt cutter?

Table size for 60-inch matt cutter?

For you guys who do a lot of mat cutting, what is a good table size for a 60-inch mat, with squaring arm? I'm looking for ideas to conserve space as much as possible yet have the capability to cut mats once every month or so, in batches. I'll probably end up getting a multi-use table and putting the cutter away on a shelf between uses....

Trying to figure out the sizes of things...what do you experienced people say?

--Darin

Re: Table size for 60-inch matt cutter?

I'd get a table made(or make one yourself if you're with tools) that's 72"(6ft) long by 18"(1.5ft) with a fold down/up 42" leaf.
    Make it a comfortable working height, and put locking 3-4" casters on it. Not necessary really, but the casters make it easy to roll away from the wall when it's time to use it.

Put a shelf or two under the main platform to store extra materials, blades, etc...
    I'd also recess out the section where the mat cutter will sit, so the cutting platform will be flush with the top platform itself(vs having the board hang off the edge of the mat cutter).

I'd use 2x4's and make the top from a nice looking wood, maybe redwood finished up nicely?

Just a quick idea

The matt cutters I've seen that size were hung on walls....
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Drew Wiley

If it's a traditional linear matcutter (as opposed to wall-mount), you want the width of your table sufficient for sizing down the largest width matboard you intend
    to use, whether that means 32-inch or 40-inch. I assume you'll want a squaring arm on it too. Those are handy. One nice thing to have is either a tilting table, like
    an old time drafting table, or some kind of folding but otherwise rigid work table, so that these can be folded or compacted when not in use. Another trick I use
    is to set my matcutting station atop my big flat files, which have a good work suface atop them at proper height.

my original idea is somewhat similar to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    my original idea is somewhat similar to this:

Something like that would be cool. Is this sort of thing sold, new or used? What would I call such a table--fold-down work table?

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Something like that would be cool. Is this sort of thing sold, new or used? What would I call such a table--fold-down work table?

--Darin
    Try a search for "gateleg" work table.

Drew Wiley

The kind of hardware and support hinges used on these kinds of tables is available from either Hafele or, in better quality, from Sagatsune, if you want to make your own wooden dropleaf table. You can even get high-strength support (for an appropriate sum, of course). I'm at a bit of an advantage personally, because I happen
    to distribute some very nice compact, folding work table systems to cabinet shops etc., so have adapted a couple flavors of these for studio use. But I think my next
    real present to myself will be a wall-mounted Speedmat system. Not quite in the budget yet, however.