Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: darkroom ventalatoin

Re: darkroom ventalatoin

Another helpful step is to avoid foul-smelling chemicals altogether. The following may be relevant if you do black and white processing:

According to Anchell and Troop in The Film Developing Cookbook, alkaline fixers have the following advantages over more traditional acidic formulas:

Less danger of over-fixing
    Shorter washing times
    More archival
    Greater capacity
    More stable
    Can be formulated to have low odor

If you use an alkaline fixer, you don't need an acid stop bath. If you insist on an acid stop bath, a mild acid works well and Citric Acid is dramatically milder-smelling than the old standard Acetic Acid.

Drew Wiley

Air is easier to pull than to push. External or inline fans will work better than ordinary wall or ceiling mounted ones, and will help isolate sound too. Panasonic has some very nice inline ones if you have the budget for this. Efficiency of air movement is affected by atmospheric humidity. In damp weather you should plan for about double the CFM's as what the routine advice recommends for your room volume. It is better to have a bigger fan with a variable volume control - you can always turn it down. Also, any inevitable bends or corrugations on your exhaust ducts will affect air movement. And of course, you need adequate-area light-tight air intake grills opposite your fume hood. Color developers and blixes can be especially unhealthy, but even seemingly innocuous chemical can sensitize you over time. Plan appropriately.

I agree with Ken and use most of his suggestions from his excellent website. I find I have very little odor at all. I am really careful with powder of any kind, even when cooking...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Another helpful step is to avoid foul-smelling chemicals altogether. The following may be relevant if you do black and white processing:

According to Anchell and Troop in The Film Developing Cookbook, alkaline fixers have the following advantages over more traditional acidic formulas:

Less danger of over-fixing
    Shorter washing times
    More archival
    Greater capacity
    More stable
    Can be formulated to have low odor

If you use an alkaline fixer, you don't need an acid stop bath. If you insist on an acid stop bath, a mild acid works well and Citric Acid is dramatically milder-smelling than the old standard Acetic Acid.

Drew Wiley

Judging the cumulative health risks of any chemical merely by initial odor is a bit naive. There is simply no substitute for proper ventilation.

I have plans from the old Peterson's Photographic Blueprint Series II book for a vent hood-If you're interested PM me with a mailing address and I'll copy them and mail them out to you.

I am well aware of the dangers of unnoticeable 'odor' and sometimes the wrong chem needs a lot of vent. I once walked into a huge auto body shop through an open double garage door and didn't make it 30 feet as I passed out from something I could not smell. They carried me out and strangely the chem was not bothering the workers...Ever see an old body man?

I always run power vents and have buried 2 coworkers from excess Trichloroethylene exposure. They refused to use available vent hoods. I warned them continuously.

Industrial disease.

Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Judging the cumulative health risks of any chemical merely by initial odor is a bit naive. There is simply no substitute for proper ventilation.

Les

Agree with Ken on this one. Have I had a decent ventilation way back in early 70's, I probably would set up a darkroom today. Yes, those fumes still sting.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    I have plans from the old Peterson's Photographic Blueprint Series II book for a vent hood-If you're interested PM me with a mailing address and I'll copy them and mail them out to you.
    Then you would be violating the publisher's copyright. How as a photographer can you be protective of your copyright but be callous about someone else's copyright?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Then you would be violating the publisher's copyright. How as a photographer can you be protective of your copyright but be callous about someone else's copyright?
    Is it a copyright violation to share info that is from 1973 & decades long out of print?
    It isn’t as if MrFujicam is trying to sell him copies of the plans for profit.
    Pure Quill is an old New England expression meaning “The genuine article...the real thing, authentic, or not phony”

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Would you rather people die from the fumes in their darkroom ? That book was published in 1973..That was FORTY years ago !. It has never been reprinted ! I rather doubt Peterson's renewed the copyright !
    AS purequill stated, I'm not trying to make money off this..I was trying to help someone.