Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallmeyer 8D Portrait Lens

Re: Dallmeyer 8D Portrait Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    All 20 x 24 wetplate, done with the Dallmeyer 8D.
    I like the last one! Color wet plate...

But your images do sing!

Alex Timmermans

Hallo Montey,

Thank you for your kind words. To much credits....
    I remember the second picture. That's awesome. Perfect use of such a nice lens.

I really hope to find such a lens One day. It's my "wet" dream...

Alex
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl

Just to suggest to the OP that Alex would indeed be the ideal recipient of this lens!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Just to suggest to the OP that Alex would indeed be the ideal recipient of this lens!
    European fraternty.

Not really!

I have no elusions that anything I write has any influence on where this 8D ends. I think it is quite important that it gets used rather than "accumulated " into a collection of interesting photographic bygones. I know that Alex is a active, communicating photographer with interests in both extreme size and alternative processes. He certainly bothered to help me when I was searching for the distance between the cell of a Dallmeyer 3B, just I am on the "lookout" for some extreme ( 30x40cm +) travel cameras for him! These private contacts are a super bonus from LFPF but I aware that there are many other who could be just as deserving as Alex. Perhaps I should have written that - Alex would be A deserving recipient

Alex Timmermans

Thanks everyone for the support.
    There are many very good wet platers all over the world and I am sure that the lens would be in very good hands of some of them.
    As Steven said, it would be nice if this lens is going to be used again for what is made for: making pictures.
    I am sure this has nothing to do with fraternity (so be honest, I had to look up the word in a dictionary......LOL)
    But I am also sure Brandon didn't meant this in a negative way.

In the past years I have seen so many beautiful collections of cameras and lenses in musea.
    They are great to look at but I really feel pain because they will never be used anymore.

www.alextimmermans.com

If the OP wants to sell and this forum points him to a potential buyer (Alex) what's wrong with that ?

I'll throw a US based vote for Alex too. He helped me illustrate my upcoming Petzval lens article and I am very appreciative.

Many thanks, Alex.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Speaking of museums, for 4 years I've been talking to a guy in the Eastern US who has a 7D. His dad started a studio a long time a ago, then his son ran it for a lifetime. He never shot the 7D, but had it as window dressing for decades. I became friends with him, and once or twice a year would ask if he'd sell the 7D to me, because I would use it to take wetplates and such. He couldn't decide....for years and years. I finally called him around Thanksgiving trying to help another wetplater who needs a large lens (and doesn't have any that size). The owner told me he was building a camera museum, to honor his dad, and the lens would remain in his collection (presumably for another generation if not for forever). Who can argue with his decision? Not me! A collector has as much right to a lens (or pocketwatch, or Corvette, or Leica) as a user. Perhaps more. How many shots will be taken with an 8D, and for how many years? But hundreds of people, each year, can see his lens in the window of his studio, or museum, and talk about his dad and photography.

Alex Timmermans

Garrett, good point! I did not say its not ok. I only said it hurts. And I enjoiyed it very much visiting those museums.
    The lenses i have now I use on a very frequent base and I am very proud I am able to use them again.
    Would love to know who were the previous owners.

www.alextimmermans.com

What we really need is working museums! Museums that have facilities to not just demonstrate the old techniques and use of equipment of Studios, but provide opportunities to use equipment.
    There are a number of this kind of museum in Denmark - none of them photographic, unfortunately.
    The best known is the Viking Ships Museum down the road from me in Roskilde. The basis for this Museum was 5 excavated wrecks found the 1960's. The scope has expanded enormously. Not only do they make copies, they have established a working "shipyard" using the right techniques and tools. This is not just aimed a visitors, interested can be involved for projects and learn the right use of tool and materials.

Surely a working photo museum would be comparatively easy to establish by comparison?