Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenses samples gallery???

Re: Lenses samples gallery???

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I find that (italicized) rather incredible. Film makers know lenses very well. Besides, can that app show the aberrations, distortion, bokeh and so-forth of any lens at all?

One does not know how a lens will render until he uses it.
    It has nothing to do with rendering, it's all about framing. This improves on a crop card by orders of magnitude, I am a precise framer and often working in quickly changing conditions, hanging my ass out on cliff faces, etc, this app is simply amazing for getting the work done.

I know my lenses pretty well too now, but sometimes I know it is going to be close and the app helps me quickly make the decision of what lens to use. It's like any other tool, sometimes I need it, sometimes I don't. When I do need it, it's simply fantastic.

Supposing for a moment that there exists some perceptible difference between results from two modern lenses of the same focal length, due to design or manufacturer for example, I am having difficulty thinking of any meaningful way that one could separate the effect due to lens design say, and the combined effects due to: lighting, exposure, film development, printing, scanning, post processing and as already mentioned, most significantly, photographer. I mean, yeah, if one designed an experiment, maybe....but in a bunch of random photos from a variety of photographers...all scanned and posted to an internet forum....I think it not possible. There are just too many variables.

As expected, didn't want it to go further far with all analysis, all what i was asking is to post samples regardless of all variables, if it is hard to do then i apologize to start it again, i didn't think it will be like that.

If you want resolution or coverage charts - Schneider has published all numbers. "Lens comparison" in that sense is thing of 50's. But you can always take PhaseOne scan back and do it again (I may have files somewhere).

There's very unque property of XL lenses, which is very specific to LF - ample movements and very unique perspective. No other lens/camera type (with exception of digital panorama) can repeat images made with those lenses, matter of fact is not every LF camera has enough of mechanical movements to utilize image circle.

As, of samples google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?q=large...=lnms&tbm=isch

Most of my 4x5 work is done with 90mm, 72mm and 47mm XL - I posted in picture threads (warning lots of nudes there) and published in View Camera and other publications.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    As expected, didn't want it to go further far with all analysis, all what i was asking is to post samples regardless of all variables, if it is hard to do then i apologize to start it again, i didn't think it will be like that.

It's not at all hard to do. As already pointed out, you can do it yourself. Just start an appropriately titled thread in the image sharing area. I'm sure people will participate. Go for it!

I think people, myself included, are just trying to discover what the point would be?

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaPerelet View Post
    If you want resolution or coverage charts - Schneider has published all numbers. "Lens comparison" in that sense is thing of 50's. But you can always take PhaseOne scan back and do it again (I may have files somewhere).

There's very unque property of XL lenses, which is very specific to LF - ample movements and very unique perspective. No other lens/camera type (with exception of digital panorama) can repeat images made with those lenses, matter of fact is not every LF has enough of mechanical movements to utilize image circle.

As, of samples google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?q=large...=lnms&tbm=isch

Most of my 4x5 work is done with 90mm, 72mm and 47mm XL - I posted in picture threads (warning lots of nudes there) and published in View Camera and other publications.
    Well, i didn't ask about resolution or coverage, also good you mentioned it, i like to see movements done, there is also panoramas, so many things can be seen from photographers that can't expect from just a chart or knowing the resolution specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    It's not at all hard to do. As already pointed out, you can do it yourself. Just start an appropriately titled thread in the image sharing area. I'm sure people will participate. Go for it!

I think people, myself included, are just trying to discover what the point would be?
    I did already, i started with one lens, i can start another threads of different lenses but then maybe it will be too much or against the rules here to start many threads from one member.

Anyway, i am not in rush, i don't expect to start that sample/gallery lens thread to be filled with 10 pages in 1-2 days, people can their time, also it is open for future shots, it is not for a period of time or has a deadline time, but if people don't want to post their works it is understandable.

I am in favor of a thread dedicated to examples from different lenses. Though I have no interest in modern lenses, I do have interest in vintage lenses that have "character". Characteristics such as barrel distortion, wide angle distortion, the out-of-focus character, field flatness, vignetting, etc. These can be ascertained visually from a web image. The way I look at it . . . If a photographer can make "that image" with "those characteristics" because a specific lens was used. . . then that information is of value to me.

I think if would be helpful as a rule, that if one is to post an image to the forum, as a minimum they should post the details about how that image was created.

I have tags on my blog that I add whenever I use a certain lens. It helps me look at what I've done with said lenses. It would be kind of cool if you could "tag" a post here with a variety of lenses - same as the Rangefinder Forum does in their gallery? Then a database could be brought up with examples from XYZ lenses. Of course it's imperfect - varying subjects, apertures, film, light, location, etc. etc., but it could still be helpful, especially for less common lenses and examples that might be buried in an unrelated thread. And many times the images are linked from Flickr that will bring up high-rez images to study.

You can kind of do this with searching, if the poster added the relevant information, but that's a pain.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    I am in favor of a thread dedicated to examples from different lenses. Though I have no interest in modern lenses, I do have interest in vintage lenses that have "character". Characteristics such as barrel distortion, wide angle distortion, the out-of-focus character, field flatness, vignetting, etc. These can be ascertained visually from a web image. The way I look at it . . . If a photographer can make "that image" with "those characteristics" because a specific lens was used. . . then that information is of value to me.
    Well, when i said lens means old and new or modern, i have 2 new or modern lenses but also have 2 or 3 old lenses if they are really old or vintage as you called it, so i never mentioned it must be a modern lens, in fact i was or would like to start a thread of lens that i think it is a vintage or old one, so i didn't ask about one type or model of lens, anyone can start a dedicated thread of any lens they want, old or new doesn't matter as long there are people using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I have tags on my blog that I add whenever I use a certain lens. It helps me look at what I've done with said lenses. It would be kind of cool if you could "tag" a post here with a variety of lenses - same as the Rangefinder Forum does in their gallery? Then a database could be brought up with examples from XYZ lenses. Of course it's imperfect - varying subjects, apertures, film, light, location, etc. etc., but it could still be helpful, especially for less common lenses and examples that might be buried in an unrelated thread. And many times the images are linked from Flickr that will bring up high-rez images to study.

You can kind of do this with searching, if the poster added the relevant information, but that's a pain.
    And that is why i liked it to be a thread, so i can find all in one place rather than i look on flickr and then on this forum here and then another forum and so on, and i asked here because i am sure this site has more LF users than any another sites, and maybe there are photos posted here since years and i don't find it, it is difficult for me to open each images section threads to look for a certain lens and looking into hundreds of pages, but when a thread about a lens is there then it is easy for me to view all the images/pages of that lens in one thread.

Les

I'm in agreement that such would be useful, particularly in a chart and being able to call out image/es, particular F-stop, sweet spot, etc. Sure, those characterizations can be annotated....or go-to details. Besides framing, one can also look @ the rendition of such lens, particularly when purchasing (XXX mm).....a lens that's rare and v. few people have. On the other side of this coin, there maybe a stampede here from apug. Who knows what the effects would be ? Anyway, if it was well orchestrated/designed....it would be useful (maybe not to everyone).

Les