Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenses samples gallery???

Lenses samples gallery???

Hi all,

I love to come here to read more about LF and see works done in this field, and even i am still not using LF much yet but i always know and believe that it is a blowing mind format, so i will keep read about it until i do shoot LF more often.

Now, i wish if there is a section here just for lenses, and posting samples/images done by each lenses can be chosen for that, mostly i am interested in 3 lenses, SA XL 72, 90, and Schn. 210, anything else will be a great job, so Why not having this section here? I keep watching those images sections and for many images there i keep asking myself which lens was used for that, so it will make it more easier and even better category if lenses can have their own gallery section as i saw it on one forum of digital.

If it can be done that will be great, no rush, whenever someone can have or did shoot by a certain lens then he/she can post on that thread of lens gallery if available.

We can discuss it here if it is worthy or not, but to me it will make me spend more time on lenses section than the other images type of photography due to that i would like to see what the lenses i have/would like to buy can do for different applications.

Re: Lenses samples gallery???

FWIW, I have never found that web sized samples of film lenses were of any use-for one because the neg or print has to be scanned and therefore the quality of the scan and scanner and secondly the limited resolution of the web render such samples pretty worthless.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    FWIW, I have never found that web sized samples of film lenses were of any use-for one because the neg or print has to be scanned and therefore the quality of the scan and scanner and secondly the limited resolution of the web render such samples pretty worthless.
    That is still fine for me, digital is not better in this case, we all rezised full resolution digital shots to meet forums rules, 72dpi/ppi with 700-1200px is like killing digital resolution for current cameras even mobiles, so it is not a big deal to scan film, i am not talking about IQ or resolution, i just care about how it is done with exposure and DoF and compositions.

Flickr.com. Search your lens.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Flickr.com. Search your lens.
    Sure i can, but would like to see those images which are not on flickr itself too

well - just make the thread! a thread where an image of the lens used and described together with examples of images taken with that lens...

Petzvals - modern - maniscus types and so on... I think it could be a great thread!

To compare a variety of lenses it's important shoot a controlled scene. Otherwise, we're comparing apples and oranges as they say.

For a superb example of this sort of test see Armin Seeholzer's Bokeh LF test.

For a less rigorous comparison, you might find this article interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    well - just make the thread! a thread where an image of the lens used and described together with examples of images taken with that lens...

Petzvals - modern - maniscus types and so on... I think it could be a great thread!
    Yes, just images/shots taken by the lens mentioned on the title of each thread, nothing complicated, just posting the image, and it is up to members to mention the body as well or film used, that will be perfect, if not doesn't matter, it least i want to see the images taken by the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    To compare a variety of lenses it's important shoot a controlled scene. Otherwise, we're comparing apples and oranges as they say.

For a superb example of this sort of test see Armin Seeholzer's Bokeh LF test.

For a less rigorous comparison, you might find this article interesting.
    Didn't ask for comparison, it is just shots done or taken by the lens, can be used as a reference to a point, at least if i have a lens or looking for a specific lens samples then i can go to that thread and watch all the photos taken by that lens, so i can have idea what i can see or expect from that lens, if that is worthless then i am sorry to talk about it or start a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    so Why not having this section here?
    Because it is *kind of* not the most important thing to spend time on...

If you want to figure out what a LF lens will look like in a given scene, you can just use this conversion chart and then look for equivalent lenses even though the aspect ratio will be taller in landscape orientation than a 35mm equivalent, shorter in portrait orientation. Otherwise, web shots will only tell you so much. You can also peruse the image sharing section for lots of images shot with 90's and 210's, I'm sure some 72's will pop up too.

For what it is worth, I use an app called Viewfinder Pro on my iPhone to pre-visualize what a given lens will do to a scene, film makers use this app a LOT to help craft scenes, I find it to be one heck of a time saver. I tend to be very precise in my framing and do not like to crop much so I use this app a ton.

Attachment 106215

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    [...] For what it is worth, I use an app called Viewfinder Pro on my iPhone to pre-visualize what a given lens will do to a scene, film makers use this app a LOT to help craft scenes, I find it to be one heck of a time saver. I tend to be very precise in my framing and do not like to crop much so I use this app a ton.
    I find that (italicized) rather incredible. Film makers know lenses very well. Besides, can that app show the aberrations, distortion, bokeh and so-forth of any lens at all?

One does not know how a lens will render until he uses it.