Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chemical mixing

Re: Chemical mixing

On another note, since I have to import D76 I want it to last for as long as possible. One advice I got was to store in smaller bottles and use one at a time keeping the rest secure, and would follow that. What I want to ask is that can I use stock for development, I have seen that ppl recommend 1:1 but in that case I will have to throw away after every use and all the chemical will be gone before I even know it.

Cheers

Raffay

Hi Raffay,

Here's the Kodak datasheet on D76. It has a lot of information about using the developer, including full-strength, and has information about replenishment and storage:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j78/j78.pdf

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thank you.

I think it is possible to use D76 on a replenishment schedule as some does with Xtol. Do a search on Xtol and I think you will find some threads about replenishment.
    If you do this you would need to make up two batches of D76. use of one batch full strength as your developer and add from the second batch when completed to add up to the volume you had before processing.

I do this with another developer Harvey's Panthermic 777 and it works very well.

The problem you run into is the expiration of the developer, it is hard to know when your developer has expired and no longer works as it did when you mixed it. Some developers as the 777 almost works forever and therefore is a lot easier to use in a replenishment schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Thanks also for this advice. I just made up two gallons and will make sure that I filter it prior to use.

I use an automatic stirrer. But, there still can be some particles remaining.

As a comment, I note that 3.8 liters is 1.0039 gallons.
    I'm curious about the model you use for mixing large quantity. Many magnetic stirrers look to be for small beaker or maximum 2 liters.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

One more question, should i use battery water or bottled water will be good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffay View Post
    One more question, should i use battery water or bottled water will be good as well.
    I would recommend using distilled water for mixing the chemistry, and for the stop if you use a water stop rather than acid.

You can use tap water for the washes after fixing.

Photo processing can be sensitive to chemicals in the water, not just particles.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Thanks also for this advice. I just made up two gallons and will make sure that I filter it prior to use.

I use an automatic stirrer. But, there still can be some particles remaining.

As a comment, I note that 3.8 liters is 1.0039 gallons.
    Which is a good reason to let it sit overnight before using: Any particles not dissolved will settle to the bottom and will not flow out of the spigot as the inlet is positioned above the containers bottom. Filtering then is not only unnecessary but aerates the developer which shortens its life. From personal experience, Xtol stock will last 6 months when stored in a floating lid container.

As a note I have the Doran floating lid container http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._2_Gallon.html and not the Arkay brand as I wrote above. I have two of these, one for film and the other for paper.

Thomas

Finally mixed the chemicals, D76 was pretty easy. The fixer was a bit weird. Initially, foam was formed on the top slightly green in color but then layer when I mixed it the whole water became milky. After a lot of mixing I left it and when I checked later D76 was fine, but the container with fixer was clear water but at the base there was a white layer of powder. I am mixing it after every ten minutes, hope it is not ruined.

Cheers

Raffay

The fixer is still not dissolved completely, there is a very thin layer of powder that keeps settling at the bottom. Will it dissolve now since the water is not hot any more.