Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very weird 8x10 Hp5 processing problem..

Re: Very weird 8x10 Hp5 processing problem..

Since the problem doesn't seem to be widespread, you'll have to be systematic to have any hope of tracking it down. As a start, I'd
    1. Process a sheet straight from the box, as has been suggested. If that turns out all right,
    2. Load one of your holders from the box and shoot it. If that turns out all right,
    3. Load one of your friend's holders from the box and shoot it in your camera. If that turns out all right,
    4. Load one of your friend's holders from the box and shoot it in his camera. If that turns out all right,
    5. Have your friend load one of your holders from the box and you shoot it in your camera. If that turns out all right,
    6. Have your friend load one of his holders from the box and you shoot it in your camera.

And so on. Somewhere along the line you'll figure it out positively. Uses up some film, though.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I second the suggestion to send one or two to ilford for analysis. Why guess when you can have hard data. If you have a handy failure analysis lab they can do lots of things... the price will be far more than postage to ilford. I am sure everyone responding is correct on what can happen. It happened to them or a friend exactly as they say. Scratches are not as big a curiosity to me as the gooy deposit of somethings. Ilford for data. The low cost facts for the cost of postage and a bit of time.

Hot periods during the summer I use thin latex gloves to load film when useing the film tent.It can get really hot and humid in there.

retrogrouchy

There's a thread both here on LFPF and another on APUG mentioning issues with recent HP5. I think it presents as lots of little straight scratches on the base side that don't print. I don't know if anyone has sent any samples to Ilford yet, but you might be seeing effects related to whatever defect those people were seeing.

Sorry I didn't come back to this thread. Turns out even though the lab I talked to told me it is an xtol problem I have since found I have the same problem with Beutlers and D76.
    It does look pretty much exactly like snay1345 is showing on the second jpg with the roll film. That weird band of texture showing in the sky above the house on his film.
    I get that unevenly on the base of the 8x10 and now I am trying to figure it out I am using 4x5 and getting the same thing.
    I have tried both Kodak photo flo and Edwal LFN, both in distilled water. I actually think the problem is in the developer stage.
    It is only on the base. It seems like perhaps the base is getting extra sensitive.
    I have been wearing gloves and processing one sheet at a time can't figure it out..
    Dennis

plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Sorry but No way. I have processed 35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8x10 in Xtol stock, 1+1, 1+2, 1+3, and NEVER had a problem. For sheets films I used trays and tubes. It sounds more like a bad batch of film.

I've seen that kind of issue on that second photo on Acros100, it was from a bunch or rolls of 120 from a trade with another person. But never with new film.

Not sure what that means, I have a sneaking suspension that it's moisture from refrigeration that gets into the emulsion from improper storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Sorry but No way. I have processed 35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8x10 in Xtol stock, 1+1, 1+2, 1+3, and NEVER had a problem. For sheets films I used trays and tubes. It sounds more like a bad batch of film.
    Blue Moon runs an excellent lab. One wonders if environmental factors are at work were in Portland. Something in the water, maybe.

yep, something in the water.... I'm like one of the other posters, I've used HP5 and xtol for years. Don't presoak it. I've found more handling errors on presoaked film than all my other HP5 combined. a presoak with funny unfiltered water could be your answer.
    When you are walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.