Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Angulon 65mm f8 - Could someone measure one for me?

Super Angulon 65mm f8 - Could someone measure one for me?

If someone has a 65mm f8 Super Angulon and a vernier caliper with which to measure it, I would appreciate knowing what the overall length is from front to back as shown on my diagram (measured from the edges of the metal casings) with the lens mounted in a Synchro Compur shutter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANGULON.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	105811

I am mounting mine in a size 00 Prontor shutter (as I don't have a Synchro Compur) but need to modify it as the Prontor is threaded all the way to the front whereas the Synchro Compur has a recess in the front. Both shutters are 16mm wide.

Steve.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Super Angulon 65mm f8 - Could someone measure one for me?

I think the distance from the front of each cell to the aperture blades is also important...

That is determined by the 16mm spacing of the shutter. My back cell is in the correct place as it fits flush to the back of the shutter. I just need a back to front distance so I know that the front cell is in the right place.

At the moment the front cell is too far forward, probably by only about 0.5mm. Images are razor sharp in the centre but blur slightly at the edges.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That is determined by the 16mm spacing of the shutter. My back cell is in the correct place as it fits flush to the back of the shutter. I just need a back to front distance so I know that the front cell is in the right place.

At the moment the front cell is too far forward, probably by only about 0.5mm. Images are razor sharp in the centre but blur slightly at the edges.

Steve.
    I'll measure mine for you this evening when I'm home, if you don't get another response before then.

I have a Prontor Press 00 shutter, and the issue with it is that it is a 00 central opening and threaded barrel surrounded by a 0 shutter. There is a recess in the front of the Prontor, but the edges of that recess interfere with a decorative shoulder on the front lens cell, preventing it from screwing down all the way. I've thought about machining off that decorative ring, but I've been able to source a couple of Compur 00 shutters and have put it off. It is also an issue with my 47/5.6 Super Angulon, which I use with 6x12 and smaller formats in roll-film holders. But on that one, the part of the front cell barrel that interferes with the front of the Prontor Press shutter isn't merely decorative.

It's a challenge keeping lenses in 00 shutters in use these days.

Rick "who has a spare set of 65/8 glass from one of those shutter acquisitions" Denney

Thanks.

This will be the third shutter I have had for this lens and I hope it's only a temporary measure until I can get a good 00 Synchro Compur.

I have already filed off the shoulder from the front cell to make it fit into the Prontor's front thread (I partially threaded it into the old shutter to both protect it from swarf and provide a guide for the file) but I think I need to make it go just a little bit further.

If this lens was on 6x6 or even 6x9, I don't think I would notice a problem but as it's on 6x12, the edges are noticably blurred which I think is due to incorrect spacing.

Steve.

57.44mm on mine.

Thanks.

Rick, I'm still interested in knowing the spacing of yours. Hopefully, it's the same as Larry's. If not, that will add an extra dimension of doubt!!

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    If not, that will add an extra dimension of doubt!!
    Extra dimension of doubt now added by Schneider via Dan!

Steve.

Mine's in a 00 Syncro Compur, for what it's worth. Serial number is 7688043 if that gives you a sense of the age. Hopefully that can help remove some of the doubt.