Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetplate Workshop - Jan 25th 2014 - 1 day in Tucson, AZ

Wetplate Workshop - Jan 25th 2014 - 1 day in Tucson, AZ

Hi, I'm pleased to announce another hands-on, one day accelerated wetplate workshop. You will be taught by two experienced LF and Wetplate photographers and instructors, myself and Mark Sawyer. In Tucson, Arizona, one day, Jan 25th. By the end of the day, you will have learned everything you need to mix wetplate chemicals, pour plates, make successful exposures, and successfully varnish your plates. See the attached flyer for more on the curriculum.

Limited space, first come first served.

Re: Wetplate Workshop - Jan 25th 2014 - 1 day in Tucson, AZ

Three seats left!

Workshop bump!

1 or 2 seats available! Wonderful weather in Tucson this time of year.

We will have Cameras, Lenses, and Silver Baths for sale to attendees! This is a fine opportunity to learn wetplate, and get a complete kit ready to go!

I can't possibly make it this soon now, but this is something I would love to do eventually. Quick question - do attendees need their own wet-plate ready gear? I have a 4x5 camera but nothing larger and no plate holders etc. It would be good to get enough hands on to know if the we want to continue before laying out the money for everything else. (I'd eventually like to go 8x10 for other work anyway, but given the size, expense and lack of shipping for enlargers that's going to mean a scanner and inkjet printer in addition to the camera gear so at least another year for that, unless I want to start with just contacts.)

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

We provide all you need, Roger, although if you have a camera of your own you feel more comfortable with, you're welcome to bring it. But I'd suggest one of ours. We'll have four separate 8x10 outfits and a variety of lenses to choose from! Participants will spend a few hours working indoors under artificial light with 8x10 studio cameras on semi-centennial stands and an indoor darkroom, and a few hours outside with 8x10 field cameras, natural light, and a portable tent darkroom.

Warning: There may be pixies!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks Mark. That just leaves my other question (asked in the other thread) - are y'all planning any more of these later in the year?

Besides the fact I couldn't make this one anyway, I think it would be advantageous to take a workshop closer to time one was ready to "gear up" themselves, so not so much would be forgotten.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

We may do another in the spring or fall, when the weather's nice, depending on interest. Even with the current "Wet Plate Renaissance", it's a bit of a challenge to fill a four-person workshop. It's still a very small niche within the already-small niche of large format photography.

I'd agree that it's a good idea to do one close to when you're about to start, but I'd suggest building or acquiring the collodion-specific equipment (tanks/trays/holders) after taking a workshop, as you may change your mind about what you want after actually working with wet plates.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Makes sense. I might in fact be able to do it in May. You'll post here well in advance?

The workshop price isn't an obstacle but adding in airfare, a car rental and at least two days lodging makes a difference.

2 Months notice given on the last one! If we agree now to do one in mid May, that's a 4 Month notice. Seriously, if people are interested and give me a date that works, and they're committed, I'll set up a class. We aim to please, and are demand-driven, not schedule-driven.