Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: making a carbon transfer print has any did this

Arrow making a carbon transfer print has any did this

Looking to do making a carbon transfer print PM
    What film will work and the paper need

Dave

Re: making a carbon transfer print has any did this

Tricky process. I would suggest taking a workshop with one of the many talented practitioners here like Sandy King, Jim Fitzgerald, Tri Tan, Vaughn Hutchins-probably missing a couple.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I do not understand the question? Research this forum. All of the answers are here. Take a workshop if you are serious and I mean serious as this process is not for the faint at heart.

Dave, one starts with a carbon tissue. Bostick and Sullivan re-introduced a pre-made carbon tissue (gelatin, sugar and pigment on a thin material), and it can be ordered through them on their website. Most of us make our own tissue as it gives one the control of print color, relief, etc. It can also be made to best match one's darkroom conditions (temp, RH, etc).

A negative of good strong contrast is where one should start. With the B&S tissue this could be a negative usually printed with no filter onto silver gelatin paper, or contrastier. Home-made tissue meant to achieve a high relief often asks for more contrast from the negative than silver gelatin paper can easily handle.

As the name applies, one does transfer the image from the tissue to a final support. Fixed-out photopaper (fiber, glossy is my choice) is a good material to transfer onto...and is easiest to learn.

Carbon printing is a project, to put it mildly. Not all that difficult, once one gets the general idea of the process (this is where workshops do come in handy). Someone who has worked in several different alt processes should be able to do carbon without many problems.

Thank you sound like some I will have to do.

I live is a small town we do not even have any film photographic shops the last now digital and no film for my camera

Thank you
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Dave, one starts with a carbon tissue. Bostick and Sullivan re-introduced a pre-made carbon tissue (gelatin, sugar and pigment on a thin material), and it can be ordered through them on their website. Most of us make our own tissue as it gives one the control of print color, relief, etc. It can also be made to best match one's darkroom conditions (temp, RH, etc).

A negative of good strong contrast is where one should start. With the B&S tissue this could be a negative usually printed with no filter onto silver gelatin paper, or contrastier. Home-made tissue meant to achieve a high relief often asks for more contrast from the negative than silver gelatin paper can easily handle.

As the name applies, one does transfer the image from the tissue to a final support. Fixed-out photopaper (fiber, glossy is my choice) is a good material to transfer onto...and is easiest to learn.

Carbon printing is a project, to put it mildly. Not all that difficult, once one gets the general idea of the process (this is where workshops do come in handy). Someone who has worked in several different alt processes should be able to do carbon without many problems.

As Kirk said, there are some people in CA. I'm too far away physically. I taught myself the process, never took a workshop. If you are determined, you can do the same. Lots of info on the net. Sign up over at Sandy King's carbon transfer yahoo group. Pretty much any film can work... even HP5! Paper? Pretty much anything, providing it can stand up to hot water development. Good luck!

Andrew

Dave, this will give you more info.

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/arti...n_sullivan.pdf

Also I have met both Jim And Vaungh, both great guys and both here in Ca. You couldn't go wrong with a workshop from either one of them.

Also here's a link to on of Jim's videos. http://youtu.be/Tl5FK7PTkFw

Roger

Thank you
    I have sign up with this yahoo group.
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CarbronTransfer/
    I live 4 1/2 hours from LA or SF and 40 min from Yosemite

Thank for your info
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    As Kirk said, there are some people in CA. I'm too far away physically. I taught myself the process, never took a workshop. If you are determined, you can do the same. Lots of info on the net. Sign up over at Sandy King's carbon transfer yahoo group. Pretty much any film can work... even HP5! Paper? Pretty much anything, providing it can stand up to hot water development. Good luck!

Andrew

I just drove by your front door yesterday (Hwy 99). I occasionally give workshops in Hayward (East SF Bay Area). No dates set up right now. Within a year, I'll be giving one-on-one workshops up here in the redwoods.

The yahoo group is a good one.

Also here's a link to on of Jim's videos. http://youtu.be/Tl5FK7PTkFw
    and mine....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmpTgDlsr3o

Andrew