Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Tech V: Syncing modern flash via right-side flashmount?

Re: Linhof Tech V: Syncing modern flash via right-side flashmount?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBrain View Post

None of which are of particular concern to me (though I can sympathize re. wife's garden)
    Flowers are simply weeds with political influence.

Velcro working well for me. Thanks.

Sadly however, I've come to the conclusion that the problems I'm having with focusing are not entirely down to my own stupidity. At 10-15 feet, the 125, 150 and 300 mm lenses appear to be sharp on instant film, even at f8, and when placed at their appropriate infinity stops, the indicator coincides with infinity on their respective focus scales. So perhaps the problems I had with these lenses earlier were due to my being too close to the subject.

However, with regards to the 240 mm lens (the one I was most looking forward to working with), I'm guessing the infinity stops have been installed in the wrong place, as (A) they do not coincide with the focus scale for that lens, and (B) a test on instant film is so out of focus as to render the scene virtually unrecognizable, even at 10 feet. So we're not talking about just 4 inches of inaccuracy which might be caused by the polaroid back. More like 4 feet!

Will test the three apparently functioning lenses today on film, but the 240 is so out it's not even worth bothering.

Damn.

Will test the three apparently functioning lenses today on film, but the 240 is so out it's not even worth bothering.
    It is possible that the lens is off somehow. If there are serial numbers on the back lens as well as the front, do they match?

Did you get a loupe?

Hello again.

yes, I guess it's possible that the front and back of the lens do not match, as I've never used this lens before (but I bought it in Japan, where in general I find dealers to be considerably more honest than elsewhere...though that doesnt mean I didnt get duped by the exception to the rule of course). No serial on the back though, so I cant be sure.

I didnt get a loupe yet, as I'm having trouble finding anything that looks like it will be long enough to use with the V (and no Wista loupes on ebay that I can find right now). However, your 80mm lens trick works just fine for checking focus, and in actual fact, when the 240 mm is correctly focused via rangefinder, the image on the GG is so utterly out of focus (like the fujiroid) that no loupe is required in order to check it. I mean, not one single part of the image is in focus, so its not just a matter of being out by a few inches.

Add to this the fact that, on closer inspection, the focus scales for the other 3 lenses do appear to be accurate, and yet for the 240 there's no alignment between the scales and the infinity stops whatsoever, and it really does look likely that the stops for this lens have been incorrectly installed.

I still find this hard to believe though. I mean, I'm a moron, and Linhof are Linhof. Who is most likely to have made an error?

Ive written to Linhof now anyway, so will see if they can suggest anything else.

Presumably Linhof's technicians will have checked alignment between GG and rangefinder before installing the infinity stops anyway, so they would have noticed if there was a problem with a lens. it looks to me like they ground the cam, measured the placement for the focus scales, and then put the stops somewhere else by mistake.

But perhaps I shouldnt go writing such things on the internet before I've really ascertained that it's not just user (moron) error at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBrain View Post
    Hello again.

yes, I guess it's possible that the front and back of the lens do not match, as I've never used this lens before (but I bought it in Japan, where in general I find dealers to be considerably more honest than elsewhere...though that doesnt mean I didnt get duped by the exception to the rule of course). No serial on the back though, so I cant be sure.

I didnt get a loupe yet, as I'm having trouble finding anything that looks like it will be long enough to use with the V (and no Wista loupes on ebay that I can find right now). However, your 80mm lens trick works just fine for checking focus, and in actual fact, when the 240 mm is correctly focused via rangefinder, the image on the GG is so utterly out of focus (like the fujiroid) that no loupe is required in order to check it. I mean, not one single part of the image is in focus, so its not just a matter of being out by a few inches.

Add to this the fact that, on closer inspection, the focus scales for the other 3 lenses do appear to be accurate, and yet for the 240 there's no alignment between the scales and the infinity stops whatsoever, and it really does look likely that the stops for this lens have been incorrectly installed.

I still find this hard to believe though. I mean, I'm a moron, and Linhof are Linhof. Who is most likely to have made an error?

Ive written to Linhof now anyway, so will see if they can suggest anything else.

Presumably Linhof's technicians will have checked alignment between GG and rangefinder before installing the infinity stops anyway, so they would have noticed if there was a problem with a lens. it looks to me like they ground the cam, measured the placement for the focus scales, and then put the stops somewhere else by mistake.

But perhaps I shouldnt go writing such things on the internet before I've really ascertained that it's not just user (moron) error at fault.
    Either you are using the wrong infinity stops, you must have a set for each cammed lens, or your bed isn't in the proper position for that lens.

The way it all works is the cam is cut to match the lens. Then the camera is placed on a stand and focused, at a very specific distance, at a chart. When the focus on the gg and the focus on the chart match they know where to install the infinity stops. The screw that holds the infinity stop in place has a sharpened point that bites into the chrome rail that it is mounted on. So that prevents the stop from moving by itself.

You keep saying that the camming was done by Linhof. You specifically mean Linhof in Munich or a Linhof service center somewhere else? You have never answered that question. If it was a service center which one?

Hi Bob, thanks for your continuing help.

Actually I think I did specifically mention Linhof Munich at some point, but my apologies if not. The camera was given a total service, 2 lenses cammed, and all 4 lenses calibrated (2 already had cams, but the infinity stops were not there for them), GG replaced, and some other minor repairs done by Linhof Munich last week.

I have adjusted nothing at all on the camera (wouldnt dare...) and 4 sets of infinity stops are installed, each color coded to match with it's cam and focus scale, as one would expect. As I said, one pair (for the 240 mm) does not appear to align with it's respective focus scale, and when focused via the rangefinder this image is totally out of focus on film. I dont think it is likely that the infinity stops have shifted (and if they have, both sides have shifted by the same amount and are now firmly screwed in their new position...not likely). But then it also seems fairly unlikely that Linhof would make a mistake such as this, even more so having read your description of the calibration process.

What could I possible be doing wrong, that I am not doing with the other lenses?

It's a Fujinon 240 mm f.9, if that makes any difference whatsoever.

From your description of the calibration process, it seems clear that if the lens is damaged or faulty in some way, this could have only occurred post-calibration.

2 lenses cammed, and all 4 lenses calibrated (2 already had cams, but the infinity stops were not there for them),
    So that means that two of the lenses had cams. Do their serial numbers match the lens serial number?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    So that means that two of the lenses had cams. Do their serial numbers match the lens serial number?

They do.

And even if they didnt, one would assume that a technician installing infinity stops would have noticed this and have brought it to my attention.

[QUOTE=MonkeyBrain;1085211

It's a Fujinon 240 mm f.9, if that makes any difference whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

It makes a great deal of difference. What is the flange focal length of that lens? Once you know that then you can measure the distance on your camera when it is set to the proper infinity stop to see if it is the same. If not then you have to draw the bed out till it is the same. Then everything should match.