Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod for 8x10 Deardorff

Tripod for 8x10 Deardorff

Looking for your preferences and recommendations:

I currently support my 8x10 Deardorff in the field with a Ries J100 and a Ries head. Although I'm very fond of this set up, there are times that I wish I had a tripod with a center post, especially when shooting portraits.. Unlike my 4x5 which I move from place to place, when I set up the 8x10, I tend to stay and shoot portraits in one spot; so tripod weight isn't a huge consideration.

What tripod/head combinations are you using for your 8x10's in the field?

Thanks!

Re: Tripod for 8x10 Deardorff

I use a Majestic geared head on an old aluminum tripod with a geared center column. It certainly is not light so I don't recommend it for anyone that is doing any long hikes. But, close to the van it works, and it is very solid.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

A center post tripod is nothing bu an upside down pendulum. Using such a tripod makes one more susceptible to vibration requiring more wait time after inserting the film holder. I really do not like them.

When using 8x10, I was using a Gitzo 1548 w/ a flat plate, although I had a center column I could(and sometimes did) use.

Now that I'm full-bore with 5x7, I use a smaller CF gitzo(1329 I think is the model #), I have a center column on it. It holds secure.

I'm using a Gitzo #5 studio-type 3-way head. Solid as a rock. And a relatively lightweight combo.

If you like carbon fiber, check our Really Right Stuff, Gitzo or Induro. All pretty good IMO, although I'd rank Gitzo and RRS as the top-tier options in terms of construction and fit/finish(IMO)

-Dan

I have a circa 1960's(?) Majestic tripod (bought for $60 used in 1978) with geared center post and geared head (6" x 7" base plate) that holds my 8 x 10 Deardorff absolutely solid...geared center post and geared head are perfect for portraits. And the tripod carries well on your shoulder; not so well with camera attached. So if you are walking a ways you put tripod on shoulder and balance with one hand and carry camera box with camera, lens, and holders with the other hand. Or if the terrain is a little iffy, you run the tripod out to the picture site, set it up, and then go back for the camera box. A photograph of the tripod and the camera and me are on my website under Wayne Lambert if you would like to see the set up. I believe all the portraits but one or two on my website were made with this equipment; also the majority of landscapes.
    Wayne
    Wayne Lambert
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    www.waynelambert.net

I agree. If I didn't have a nice grey Majestic, for a wood camera, my next choice would be. http://www.berlebach.de/?sprache=english.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lambert View Post
    I have a circa 1960's(?) Majestic tripod (bought for $60 used in 1978) with center post and geared head (6" x 7" base plate) that holds my 8 x 10 Deardorff absolutely solid...center post and geared head are perfect for portraits. A photograph of the tripod and the camera and me are on my website under Wayne Lambert if you would like to see the set up.
    Wayne

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I just bought an 8x10 Toyo-Field MII and in the past week have worked with it on 3 of my tripods: Series 5 Gitzo (G1500 w/G1570-M head), Manfrotto 475B with 329 RC4head, and finally with a series 3 Gitzo (G1348 with Arca-Swiss z1-sp head). The series 5 Gitzo and Manfrotto will both hold the camera, which weighs 15lbs without the lens, well but both are "heavy" with the Gitzo being the heavier of the two. To my pleasant surprise the Series 3 Gitzo (5lbs without head or center column) also held the camera solidly but at 1/2 the weight of the other two tripods. Once the tripod is balanced and the camera set on top and then balanced (with one hand while eyeballing the alignment bubbles on front and back standards) the camera can be panned left or right in perfect alignment. The Arca-Swiss style clamp holds the camera in a vise and I am now sold on this type of mounting clamp. Induro has a 3-way head http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ies_5_Way.html that looks like an ideal choice but since I already have the Arca-Swiss ball head I'll probably stay with it on this tripod which I use for my heavy MF and LF fields. Maybe for the Series 5 and Manfrotto...

Thomas

If you are feeling particularly wealthy and/or deserving, this looks pretty nice: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...-Tripod&key=it

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    If you are feeling particularly wealthy and/or deserving, this looks pretty nice: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...-Tripod&key=it
    ____

... Although I'm very fond of this set up, there are times that I wish I had a tripod with a center post, especially when shooting portraits...

________

The photo is helpful. Thanks, Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lambert View Post
    I have a circa 1960's(?) Majestic tripod (bought for $60 used in 1978) with geared center post and geared head (6" x 7" base plate) that holds my 8 x 10 Deardorff absolutely solid...geared center post and geared head are perfect for portraits. And the tripod carries well on your shoulder; not so well with camera attached. So if you are walking a ways you put tripod on shoulder and balance with one hand and carry camera box with camera, lens, and holders with the other hand. Or if the terrain is a little iffy, you run the tripod out to the picture site, set it up, and then go back for the camera box. A photograph of the tripod and the camera and me are on my website under Wayne Lambert if you would like to see the set up. I believe all the portraits but one or two on my website were made with this equipment; also the majority of landscapes.
    Wayne