Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The *Perfect* clip for hanging sheet film....

Re: The *Perfect* clip for hanging sheet film....

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Boy you shot the hell out of those leaves!
    They were covered in frost, need to "Dust" bracket...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I have just got these
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,42194,67373
    so far they hold on the clear area down the side of the negative, no marks and are 1" apart so the negs don't touch. I have them strung through the holes. I will update when I have done a buch of developing.
    Hello Bill, I'm a big fan of Lee Valley Tools but never see theses clothespins, do you use it with 4x5 or 8x10? Do you think I will be enought thight for 8x10?
    Dental clips are probably ended with a pic (... like this > ), right Kodachrome25 ?
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've been using 20 of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ilm_Clips.html for the last 7 years for 4x5 and 8x10 negatives and hanging 9x11 and 11x14 alternative prints to dry with no problem. They are stainless so won't rust and the tension of the hold doesn't diminish over long periods of time. They still clasp as strong today as they did brand new and priced at a $1 apiece brand new you can't complain! Grip 4x5 negatives by the corner with the notches and 8x10 negatives at the same corner but maybe 3/16" in from the edge and the line from the grip won't intrude into the printing part of the negative. Grip it hard if you will be walking several feet with it to the hanging spot otherwise a movement of the negative in that tiny spot where it is clasped by the clip will cause it to "slip" out - a lesson I learned the hard way!

Thomas

lab black

The dental clips can also be used very effectively to add weight on the bottom of the negative when it's drying on the line. They will hold 8x10 as well as larger sizes of film.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
    Hello Bill, I'm a big fan of Lee Valley Tools but never see theses clothespins, do you use it with 4x5 or 8x10? Do you think I will be enought thight for 8x10?
    Dental clips are probably ended with a pic (... like this > ), right Kodachrome25 ?
    So far I am using it with 8x10. The business end has two small bumps that provide the point of pressure. They are not machined perfectly and so for thin materials like film, one of the bumps contacts first. This is good because all the closure force is concentrated at one of the two bumps, about 1/16 inch round. So far there pegs have held my films by the clear corner and space nicely because both arms are threaded through and everything is held like little soldiers in line. But they seem more expensive than other suggestions here (except that everything is more expensive than in the US so it's hard to compare) . More trials to come. I only got them this week.

After some usage, these Lee Valley cloths pegs are not strong enough by themselves for 8x10. They worked well for 4x5 don't know about 5x7
    I do like how they space on a line, about 1 inch apart, and persevered. I dipped the ends in Plasti dip that I had and let them dry with a square of film in the jaws. Pealing that off carefully they work well now with 8x10, but they still stick together at rest and I am storing them with the bit of film in the jaws when not in use. I think they will dry non sticky over time.
    Although I think I have solved things to my satisfaction, I DO NOT recommend these for 8x10

I use Jobo clips (4x5). Not easily found now it seems.

I use these. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	107392
    I straightened out a wire coat hanger, hooked at each end, slid about 15 of these on the hangar through the handles on the clips, then hung the hanger on a second shower curtain in my spare bathroom. I use these for hanging prints and 35mm film, and large ones work great for hanging 120 film. They are cheap and readily available at most office supply stores and places like Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Looks like there's a little run going on thesis clips, ordered 2 doz. I already have some dental clips a friend gave me so now I think I'm set for life.

Thanks for the heads up.

Roger
    I did receive my clips, and couldn't be happier, they work great. The clips arrived quickly, it's just me who's slow to comment. Looks like the clips are still available.

Roger

Nice suggestion, I might try the dental clips. Those X-Ray clips are the only thing I've ever seen as an alternative to the clips I've been using, for prints and film, for many years now...

http://craft-inc.myshopify.com/produ...specialty-clip

These 'duckbill' art clips aren't perfect, but it's close. They do need to be replaced from time to time as the jaws wear out, but at ~$3/doz. you can by a LOT of them. I use 3/8" Home Depot "S" hooks to hang these from my wire drying racks.