Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: advantages of 6x9 view camera ?

advantages of 6x9 view camera ?

I did the same as You - starting with a Linhof super technika III 6x9 - very numerous in Europe & thus quite cheap (but often rather abused). Limited movements & not so very good backs (only Linhof's Rollex'es fitted the Tech III/6x9) made me change to Horseman's 900 (press, 970, 985)- series and finally the VHR. Very capable & the VHR even able to use standard Mamiya RB backs. However at that time I had also invested in 4"x5", and even if the bigger format meant more weight, the much bigger gg-screen made up for that. The big fim format & film selection is another issue. I use a number of different films, so for me the grafmatic and 2-sheet film holders is perfect when as much as 4 types of film is brought along. Having 3-4 roll film holders for VHR were out of the question, and 6x9 sheet film rare - the few times I used it I had to cut film myself from 9x12cm (split to 6x9cm for use in european size 2"x3" cassettes). The Horseman VHR were sold a few years back, having stand idle for a few years more as only the 4"x5" & 8"x10" (old Norma) vere used. I don't think I will use a 6x9 view again, feeling all to comfortable with a GG of 4"x5" at least. If You enjoy using the GG for careful composition, not just for quick & dirty framing, focus & the standard upward shift...., I think You will find the GG of a 6x9 to small. The 4"x5" seems to be a sort of minimum useful, the 8"x10" a total joy, but then I have not tryed a 12"x20"... However, 2"x3" monorails seems easy to sell/sought after & scarce, so You should not have problems if You deside to swap.

However, if You keep your 6x9 and still need a wide angle, the Mamiya Press 50mm f 6.3 (Biogon design I belive) is a possibility often overlooked. It covers 6x9, but with little movements, short back focus. I have removed a Mamiya Press 75mm from focussing mount, remounting it for Sinar as a verywide on 4"x5" (slight vignetting - but excellent 6x12cm's), so that is usually easy with the press-lenses.

And then You can post the standard question: "what is the best 4"x5" for my needs?" and keep people at LFF busy for som time

Good luck!

Hi Percy,

If you decide that you want to sell your Toyo 23G, let me know. I am looking for one. My email is shadowpilot101@yahoo.ca

Thanks, Ron

Don't have it any longer. I found it too difficult to realize the effects of movements BEFORE tripping the shutter. It's a well built camera though.

I've done some looking around. B&H has a used one for sale.

Good luck.

Percy