Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film area

Re: Film area

Quote Originally Posted by KristerH View Post
    If I understand you right it is not the exposed area that is the thing, its the total film area. Right?
    So if my developer and film states that I need 30 ml / film its safe to assume that this is equal to 30 ml / 8x10.
    That's correct. The entire surface has emulsion that the developer must process, regardless of exposure.
    On almost all the negatives I have developed so far there is this thing
    What do you think ? Mechanical, drying process?
    I can't explain the two holes(?).

The squiggly lines are scratches. Somehow the film is being scratched during handling.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

What exactly are we looking at? An unreversed scan of the negative? A reversed scan (ie positive - my guess)? How big an enlargement?

Black spots could be dirt particles on the film when exposed, White marks could be scratches or just marks from rubbing. They don't go through the emulsion as there's grain in them, not clear bright white. Could also be agitation and cleanliness issues (I see some evidence of less than perfect agitation by the way) or the effect of transient crud of some kind on the surface - cloth fibers, lint, something floating around in the developer and sitting on the surface of the film for a while and inhibiting development.

What exactly are we looking at? An unreversed scan of the negative? A reversed scan (ie positive - my guess)? How big an enlargement?

Black spots could be dirt particles on the film when exposed, White marks could be scratches or just marks from rubbing. They don't go through the emulsion as there's grain in them, not clear bright white. Could also be agitation and cleanliness issues (I see some evidence of less than perfect agitation by the way) or the effect of transient crud of some kind on the surface - cloth fibers, lint, something floating around in the developer and sitting on the surface of the film for a while and inhibiting development.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post

Thanks.

Its a scanned negativ. Its just a very small part of it. Did not use my brain there. The white lines must be scratches I think and the black dots are a little bit more complicated. Both solution and trays are clean.
    Interesting about the agitation. I am using the tray principles outlined in this forum with, in this case, three negs. I am not happy with the sky beacuse it is sort of "blotchy".
    Next time I will develop just one negative and see if that take care of the agitation problems.
    This film thing is realy interesting. So many variables. Great fun

What are the signs of less perfect agitation in your opinion ?

What are the signs of less perfect agitation in your opinion ?
    In general, uneven density where it should be even. Examples - a clear sky with light or dark areas that were not there. Also extra density along an edge caused by interval, surging, violent agitation. Streaks, sometimes caused by bromide drag, under-agitation. When there is under-agitation bubbles of air might not be removed from the film so that those spots do not develop - they are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    In general, uneven density where it should be even. Examples - a clear sky with light or dark areas that were not there. Also extra density along an edge caused by interval, surging, violent agitation. Streaks, sometimes caused by bromide drag, under-agitation. When there is under-agitation bubbles of air might not be removed from the film so that those spots do not develop - they are clear.
    Interesting. Thanks. Helps a lot when you know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    If 8x10 is 1 film, then
    4 4x5 is 1 film,
    1 120 roll is 1 film,
    1 36 exposure 35mm is 1 film

More here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ing-Sheet-Film
    That's the rule I've used. You have to take into account the total area of film, not just the area of the exposed frames.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    That's the rule I've used. You have to take into account the total area of film, not just the area of the exposed frames.
    The simplification that's easy to remember is:

One "film" is whatever you can proof on a single 8x10 sheet of paper.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.