Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metrolux Light Sensor

Metrolux Light Sensor

If anyone has an extra lamp sensor for the Metrolux timer, pls PM me. I've been trying to figure out if I can adapt a Zone VI light sensor and use with the Metrolux. Any suggestions are welcome. I have two Metrolux, but only one lamp sensor.

Thanks,

Luis

Re: Metrolux Light Sensor

I think the Metrolux probe are still available from Metered Light http://meteredlight.blogspot.com or ask directly to Eric Woodbury here on this forum.
    I'm interested also to know how to adapt Zone VI photocell receptacle to a Metrolux as I have some heads with the Zone VI pins socket.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

lab black

Earlier this year, Eric Woodbury, was extremely gracious and helpful to assist me to obtain a probe.
    In addition to contacting Eric, as well as the above website for Metered Light, I would also recommend that a letter be sent to the following address;

Meterd Light
    58 W. Portal Ave., #151
    San Francisco, CA 94127

Best of Luck
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

I've both emailed and written to him without reply. How did you get a hold of him?

Luis

lab black

PM sent re: probe
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

They did sell an adapter cable to connect to a Zone VI sensor. Or you can build one using a 3 pin DIN connector, an RCA plug and some twisted pair cable. I built mine and it works fine. I will admit that I'm lucky to live in a major metro area and to have found the proper DIN connector in stock at the nearby electronics store. If you have to order you may run into minimum orders and high shipping cost.

I saved this discussion that I found on one of the forums, probably APUG, in Evernote for just such an occasion as this. I'd like to give credit to whomever wrote this, but I didn't record the author.

"* This is still labeled erroneously as "temperature probe installation". This is the sensor used for Zone VI compensating timers and also the marvelous RH Designs Stop Clock Vario. For do it yourself types, the sensor is*
    EG+G Vactec VTB8440BH photodiode with IR filtering.

More info at
    http://uk.farnell.com/eg-g-vactec/vt...0?Ntt=118-2340

Wire it so that the pin with the polarity dot goes to the outer pole of the jack plug (for RH Designs fitting).

For the Zone VI fitting, I can look it up if anyone is interested.
    -----------------------

The Zone VI cold light head probe was supplied wired to a three-pin DIN socket, as used in old audio equipment. The socket was mounted on the surface of the head. The Zone VI compensating timer and the older stabilizer had captive cable with DIN plugs if I remember correctly. The wiring of the sensor is as follows, using two core (black and red) with shielding:

Photodiode end: black wire to the cathode, which is identified by a small reference hole through the base- see the pdf spec sheet, and
    red wire to the other pin. The shield is not connected.

DIN socket end: Black wire to pin 1, red wire to pin 2, shield to pin 3 and linked to the metal case of the socket."

Unfortunately, it's not going in a Zone VI head. I was trying to figure out if I could buy a junk head and cannibalize the probe. Luis

Sure, you could cannibalize the parts from another head and put it in any cold-light head you'd like. Based on what I've seen on eBay recently however, you'll pay more for a Zone VI head with no tube than you will for just the parts from an electronics source. That is if you don't already have one in hand. YMMV.

So what do you do about the light photo cell? That's why I thought I'd have to get one from a Zone VI head.

L