Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 8x10 Toyo MII

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Backpack for 8x10 Toyo MII

What's a good backpack for hauling the Toyo 8x10 MII field camera on short off-road field trips?

Thanks,

Thomas

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Re: Backpack for 8x10 Toyo MII

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    What's a good backpack for hauling the Toyo 8x10 MII field camera on short off-road field trips?

Thanks,

Thomas
    Contact Bruce Laughton at photobackpacker.com.

Absolutely the best backpack SYSTEM I've ever seen. The prices are more than reasonable, it is designed by a large format photographer for LF photogs, with everything you need and things you never thought of for backpacking your gear. And Bruce is a hell of a nice guy.

He designed a film holder carrier that is genius.

Bob Smith
    ArlingtOn VA
    West Milford NJ
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Thanks Bob. I went on Bruce's website but when I inputted the folded dimensions of the MII according to the Toyo-View website ( 14.5 x 6.2 x 15 ) I got "timed out." From the dimensions given for the camera cases and the backpack neither have the internal dimensions suitable for the MII ( 24 x 9 x 12 for the backpack). The published internal dimensions of the Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW ( 14.6 x 7.5 x 19.3") would appear to work.

I'm still researching.

Thomas

Thomas, here's a link to the custom enclosure that is probably necessary for your Toyo. http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT01 Best thing to do is to email Bruce with the dimensions of your camera and have him confirm that he can make one that will fit. I just bought a P3 with a custom enclosure for my 2D and it was pushing it. Your Toyo might be to big but I would contact Bruce with the dimensions and find out for sure. Also if you want to check out my P3 shoot me a pm and we can figure out a time to meet up.

Roger

That's too bad. You did say you weren't hiking far so maybe the Lowepro will serve. I know it ain't pleasant for any kind of a serious hike of any duration. At least the one I had wasn't for me.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

http://www.f64camerabag.com/backpacks.html

For what Ive seen these are pretty good.
    Cheers Shane

I looked at the f64 but the internal dimension of the "main compartment" Main compartment: 13 x 13 x 6.0" (33.02 x 33.02 x 15.24cm) (HxWxD) is close but not large enough for the MII.

Thomas

I pulled the trigger on the Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW and ordered it from B&H. I have had good experience with Lowepro. Back in 2000 I bought their Pro Trekker, not the largest one but the next one down and about 2 years ago the zipper broke. I called them up about repairing the zipper and they told me to send the pack back and they would exchange it with the new model at no charge which they did! Can't complain about that kind of customer service. I was fully expecting to have to pay a repair bill to repair the old pack burt they didn't want to do any repairs.

The camera is "out for delivery" today. I'm planning to "backpack" it on short day hikes and also to access locations that would allow a camera and tripod carried in on a pack but not rolled in on a cart. Sure glad that I have the Nikkor 300M!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Thanks Bob. I went on Bruce's website but when I inputted the folded dimensions of the MII according to the Toyo-View website ( 14.5 x 6.2 x 15 ) I got "timed out." From the dimensions given for the camera cases and the backpack neither have the internal dimensions suitable for the MII ( 24 x 9 x 12 for the backpack). The published internal dimensions of the Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW ( 14.6 x 7.5 x 19.3") would appear to work.

I'm still researching.

Thomas
    I had some time out problems with specifying my bag from the website route of starting with the camera cases and Bruce advised me accordingly. Even if your camera's dimensions are not exactly matched in the lists of cameras, you can still specify your bag and its contents by starting with the rucksack and specifying a custom case. When you have all your components specified, email Bruce with your camera's dimensions. He will advise you perfectly.

Ironically I bought a Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW before I'd come across Bruce's site because it was listed with internal dimensions that would let me get my Shen Hao (about the same dimensions as your MII) after taking the sticking out knobs into account. I was getting so fatigued after only a few miles with the Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW that I just had to find something better. Bruce's creation looked like the way to go and although I was expecting it to be an expensive deal it turned out to be less expensive than the Lowepro and so very much better that now I could never imagine going to any other. Bruce has worked out the perfect arrangement, which is basically a mountaineering standard of bag and suspension system, combined with his ingenious internal storage "cases".

He even sets up the torso height to match your dimensions. All you do is install your cases in the rucksack, load your gear and away you go with many more miles added to your range. It's great to arrive where you want to work without feeling exhausted. It might not make you a better photographer but it will certainly make you a more comfortable one!

RR

Ditto what Regular Rod says. As a previous owner of the Lowepro AW Trekker 400 I could never imagine going through that kind of pain and inconvenience with a photo "backpack" again. But if you're not going to far from your car it probably won't be that bad.
    Bob