Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Alaris successor of Easman Kodak + Kodak LF formats still available

Re: Kodak Alaris successor of Easman Kodak + Kodak LF formats still available

Um, let's step back a minute. TXP320 (4164) is sheet-film Tri-X; this emulsion was also sold for decades in 120/220 rolls. It is not the same as TX400 (in 35mm, 5063), which has never been offered as a sheet film. When I worked for Kodak, testing films/developers was an occasional part of my job. Sometimes I wondered "what exactly is the difference between TX400 and TXP320?" but was never interested enough to actually do the comparisons (in 120 format of course). So for my personal photography, I kept shooting TX400 in 35mm and TXP320 in 4x5 and didn't worry about it. TMY-2 may very well be the superior emulsion; apparently it's much improved over the original 1988 TMY. But not having tried it, I can't say.

Drew Wiley

The whole point is that Kodak considered it a the replacement, and would have killed off Tri-X completely if there hadn't been enough interest to keep the older
    film marginally viable financially. Of course, we all has lost favorite products over this kind of marketing mentality over the years. Last nite, I was looking at some
    of the prints I made with the old high-speed Agfachromes, and there simply is nothing equivalent to that look nowadays. A complete niche lost. But at some point
    they decided to "improve" their portfolio with something more modern. Same with favorite papers. But we adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Um, let's step back a minute. TXP320 (4164) is sheet-film Tri-X; this emulsion was also sold for decades in 120/220 rolls. It is not the same as TX400 (in 35mm, 5063), which has never been offered as a sheet film. When I worked for Kodak, testing films/developers was an occasional part of my job. Sometimes I wondered "what exactly is the difference between TX400 and TXP320?" but was never interested enough to actually do the comparisons (in 120 format of course). So for my personal photography, I kept shooting TX400 in 35mm and TXP320 in 4x5 and didn't worry about it. TMY-2 may very well be the superior emulsion; apparently it's much improved over the original 1988 TMY. But not having tried it, I can't say.
    I could have sworn I saw 400TX (not Tri-X 400) for sale in 4x5 sheet at B&H in the past. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

Looking forward to their re-introduction of Medalist, Kodabromide and Azo in many surfaces and sizes for my lab work.
    Hear hear!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I could have sworn I saw 400TX (not Tri-X 400) for sale in 4x5 sheet at B&H in the past.
    It's never been offered in sheet form. I would have used large quantities of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    It's never been offered in sheet form. I would have used large quantities of it.
    They certainly take special orders cut on demand... If you buy about $13,000 worth you can get lots of sheets

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    They certainly take special orders cut on demand...
    For emulsions that are already being coated on polyester sheet film base. TX is coated only on acetate roll film base. In general it takes some R&D investment to tweak an emulsion for coating on a different base and debug the process, and there's no guarantee it would be successful.

What I want is TXP 320 in 120 again. I like that I can still get it in sheets, but want more than just that. I've toyed with the idea of getting enough people together to special order it, may still do so.

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    What I want is TXP 320 in 120 again. I like that I can still get it in sheets, but want more than just that. I've toyed with the idea of getting enough people together to special order it, may still do so.
    I'll let you know how my Eastman Double-X 4x5 special order goes

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Getting Kodak to take that special order will be very unlikely. Currently, 320TXP is not coated on the required 3.9 mil acetate base. Unlike unique sizes of sheet film, where the only work involved is custom cutting a regular-production master roll, this would mean reviving a complete coating process. Even if Kodak did accept an order, I suspect that, unless your name is Buffett or Gates, the price would be prohibitive.