Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Tripod Case

Hard Tripod Case

I have a Ries J600 + J250 head for my 4x5 setup. What kind of case do people use to carry their tripods when they are traveling on an airplane? I was thinking of getting a long Pelican case, but they cost around $300, so I just wanted to see if there are any other options available.

Re: Hard Tripod Case

I'd imagine you have a plumbing supply near you, check out large dia semi-rigid(the light grey stuff) pvc tubing in larger(thinking 6" or 8" I.D.) diameters.

That + corresponding end caps(slip on or threaded caps) and a few hours of your time can make you a really nice, TSA-safe flight case

If you get yourself some .75" --> 1" thick closed cell foam(heck even getting a bargain sleeper pad at wal-mart), line the inside of the case, and use some bubble-wrap or more foam to wrap around your tripod's legs during transit.

cheers,
    Dan

there's also these, ready-made, but somewhat expensive:

http://www.adorama.com/FIP50802.html...FcU5QgodW1cAeg

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    there's also these, ready-made, but somewhat expensive:

http://www.adorama.com/FIP50802.html...FcU5QgodW1cAeg
    I used to have one of those Fiberbilt cases. The nice thing about it was it was flexible so any impacts bounced off.

I have a Fiberbilt case for my Ries A-100. It does a good job, but I've never checked it on an airline. When I've shipped tripods, I've used a lamp box or similar from U-Haul, lined it with 1/2" rigid insulating foam, wrapped the legs in bubble wrap and filled the voids with foam peanuts. That might work for taking via the airline and be a cheaper one-time solution. U-Haul used to have a box intended for golf clubs that was good for this. I don't see that one now, but they list one that's 36" long and 4x4" which may be a better solution for a smaller tripod. Any way you do it, tripods are a pain!

I have a plastic case made for drum equipt - cymbal stands - that works pretty good. Also..if you have a light stands and stuff, a hardshell golf bag case works great and airlines are used to dealing with them - they usually have wheels on the bottom too

The larger diametyer PVC can seem expensive. In the 1990s (well before 9/11) I traveled by air to a workshop in Sante Fe NM. To ship my heavy tripod by air. I thought to put together a tripod case made from 8" white PVC (Sch 40?). Over the phone the pipe supplier quoted me a pretty steep price for a 20 foot section and an additional fee to cut off the 3' I needed! So I called my plumber wo called the pipe yard and he got a friend of his to sell me a cut-off end for $10 cash.

A wooden plug in each end closed it off with a regid handle to haul it around made it complete. A little soap and scrubbing took off all the purple printing. It was a 8" dia 4' long tube with no markings that weighed maybe 25- 30 pounds.

Got on the plane and saw them bring out the luggage. The head Stewerdess came on the inter com, called my name and asked me to activate my call light (did it). A baggage handler came over to me with a concerned look on his face to ask what was in it. I told him and said they could look in it if they wanted . . .offered to open it for them. He declined and thanked me. Guess he just wanted to see if I had a nervous twitch or sweat on my upper lip!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I carry a Majestic tripod or a Bogen 3040 w/ 3047 head to Las Vegas at least once a year. I came up with the idea of using a large Tenba soft tripod case with a heavy 8" cardboard tube meant for pouring concrete pillars inside the Tenba case. I lined the cardboard tube with a cut up foam pad meant for camping from Walmart. So far, it's survived 11 round trips.

I haul my survey tripods in a low dollar thrift store hard golf bag air line case. Looks an awful lot like the stand hard cases sold at Musicians Friend on line. I paid $40. For air travel a commercial case gets much less attention.

For my 4x5 I found a tripod sturdy enough for my field 4x5 that with the head removed that would fit diagonally in my largest suitcase. The rest of the suitcase gets filled with my clothes etc. In this case it was a Manfrotto 055MF3-The MF4 (4 leg segments would fit in an even smaller suitcase).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"