Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which NEW 11x14 film holder do you prefer?

Which NEW 11x14 film holder do you prefer?

I am going to try and buy one new 11x14 holder every 2 or 3 months, as my 'allowance' allows.

Used one's seem so beat up, so rare and so expensive, I may as well buy new.

I would like to hear about differences, availability, from actual users and new purchasers.

Not a discussion about price or origin.

Of course, I am open to buying very good used ones, but I am not seeing them on eBay.

Re: Which NEW 11x14 film holder do you prefer?

I only use S&S and Fidelity Medical cassettes and unfortunately, their measured film registration is off sufficiently enough to warrant using the two camera backs I acquired. My Deardorff V11 was a 1940 Marine model that did not have a film holder back so I had Richard Ritter make me one to accommodate my then wooden S&S holders. When the Deardorff camera company came into existence I thought it would be beneficial to have an original Deardorff back for the camera and acquired one that needed to be modified. A friend of mine measured the probe depth of the batch of medical cassettes I acquired and the S&S holders and determined that they were sufficiently dimensionally different from each other as to the film registration that I ended up modifying the V11 camera back to use the medical holders. That said I really do like the Medical holders even though they are heavier.

My advice is that whatever brand you end up going with (S&S, AWB, Chaminoix or ?) stick with it so you are consistent with your film registration.

Been struggling with the same issue... I think you have the answer that will help everyone.... If a few of us (well, perhaps more than a few..) do the same thing and list our replaced older holders on this site, all the members will be helped. Do you think AWB, S&S, etc would give a break to a bulk order from our members?

I was unaware Medical holders are still available new.

Do you know a source?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I only use S&S and Fidelity Medical cassettes and unfortunately, their measured film registration is off sufficiently enough to warrant using the two camera backs I acquired. My Deardorff V11 was a 1940 Marine model that did not have a film holder back so I had Richard Ritter make me one to accommodate my then wooden S&S holders. When the Deardorff camera company came into existence I thought it would be beneficial to have an original Deardorff back for the camera and acquired one that needed to be modified. A friend of mine measured the probe depth of the batch of medical cassettes I acquired and the S&S holders and determined that they were sufficiently dimensionally different from each other as to the film registration that I ended up modifying the V11 camera back to use the medical holders. That said I really do like the Medical holders even though they are heavier.

My advice is that whatever brand you end up going with (S&S, AWB, Chaminoix or ?) stick with it so you are consistent with your film registration.

Lachlan 717

S&S only for my 7x17". Beautifully made.

(When I get around to making an 11x14" camera, I might give making my own holders a crack).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I was unaware Medical holders are still available new.

Do you know a source?
    They stopped making them many years ago. I was able to acquire four that appeared to be unused old stock and four that are visually like new. Interestingly enough the machinist that measured the probe depth of the medical cassettes determined that the process of heat fusing the aluminum platelet into the holder induces a slight cupping on the platelet within the process. Well inside the circle of confusion even for macro work, but it is not "perfectly" flat. The compromise was setting the probe depth of the GG at the average depth of the holders he measured. Another item that I learned in the process. While we all "assume" that wooden holders come from the manufacturer perfectly flat, that is not always the case. Place them face down on a perfectly flat surface and do the pressure test pushing on each corner and see if you can detect any curve. The machinist friend of mine noticed curvature in one of my holders visually. Check this out to your satisfaction when you get your holders.

I painted the inside edges of my wooden holders and used thin black tape over the two seems of the hinge flap on each side of the holder.

The complexity of making holders is not the grooves and cuts of the pieces, it is the understanding of the grain and how various pieces need to be put together to keep the holder static and straight as a function of time. The price you pay for wooden holders is acquiring the experience in this regard and few part time woodworkers are that skilled in the science of wood to get it right. I know that described me and I am not ashamed to admit it. Moulded plastic is impervious to weather and is far less likely to move and that was why I went for the Fidelity Cassettes when I came across them. Have not seen many in the last year or two.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 8-Nov-2013 at 17:33. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by imagedowser View Post
    Been struggling with the same issue... I think you have the answer that will help everyone.... If a few of us (well, perhaps more than a few..) do the same thing and list our replaced older holders on this site, all the members will be helped. Do you think AWB, S&S, etc would give a break to a bulk order from our members?
    It is worth a try to see if there is any value from the maker in knowing that they have product sold. I have heard some interesting stories about AWB so I would recommend Sandy King / S&S.

For the record we (S&S) do not have any 11X14" holders in stock, and have no plans at this time to produce another batch.

We still have in stock some holders in most of the other ULF dimensions, including 7X17, 8X20, 12X20 and 14X17. We also have some full plate (6.5 X 8.5) holders in stock.

http://ssfilmholders.com/

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Well that is bad news, but thanks for the update Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    For the record we (S&S) do not have any 11X14" holders in stock, and have no plans at this time to produce another batch.

We still have in stock some holders in most of the other ULF dimensions, including 7X17, 8X20, 12X20 and 14X17. We also have some full plate (6.5 X 8.5) holders in stock.

http://ssfilmholders.com/

Sandy

A few months ago, I thought I saw 11x14 holders on Badger camera's site, but I no longer see them there.

What confuses me, is how do camera manufacturers expect buyers of new cameras to obtain new film holders. Several companies sell new 5x7 and other sizes besides 8x10 cameras. I cannot imagine a Linhof 5x7 buyer settling for used holders. I have bought NOS holders in 5x7, but they are not plentiful.

I just sent an email to AWB, that website is dated 2006. I do know Chamonix is still in business and there is that fellow in Eastern Europe.

Am I missing any other sources?