-
-

Post a photo you took with Per, because of Per, or that you think Per would have liked.

It’s been 27 months since Per Volquartz died. He had an indomitable spirit and I loved him and his workshops … I got into them late but was lucky enough to attend four of them.

I was stunned when I learned of Per’s death and I thought the best way to honor him was to go out and take some pictures … some pictures I thought said something about him.

I didn’t develop the shots I took over two years ago until last week … they just sat in an 8x10 holder for all that time. For some reason I just didn't do it.

So … here they are … the first was a retake from a 6x9 made with an ancient Kodak folder I had taken a couple of years before that I thought was appropriate … a not so subtle ascending streak of light … (one my incredibly sweet wife, who truly has impeccable artistic taste, didn't like as a 6x9 nor as an 8x10 ... but I do.)

And, the second was one I saw while leaving the bar where I had toasted Per with a Scotch on the rocks … it was on an old stern wheel boat on the Sacramento River … a lonely table at night with a lamp … it just felt right ... (and my wife likes it!)

Just two shots that made me think of him and him being gone.

But first off is a portrait of Per that I took at one of the workshops in Tonopah ... I hurried and just missed the focus on this one but have always liked it ... Per was always very thoughtful and kind but very candid when he reviewed your work ... so I asked him to put his glasses to his lips as he sometimes did when looking at photos. I was flattered that Per's son asked me for a copy and it was displayed at his funeral.

The Portrait

The Ascension

And, the Lamp

Cheers and may Per's spirit continue to influence!