Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotrim Question

Rotrim Question

So, my cutting head is not really running across the rails smoothly. I'd like to clean them and apply something to make it smoother. I'm assuming oil is out of the question as it will attract dust correct? What about some type of dry graphite??

Drew Wiley

Re: Rotrim Question

That graphite smudge will get everywhere. Bad idea. You might need to replace the sleeve bearings, if they are still available for your model. If you do use a lubricant
    you need one in which the solvent dries totally, and you obviously need to let it evaporate before you use the device. And I'd have to ask if you are using the
    Rototrim for cutting down anything photosensitive like film or undexposed paper, as opposed to simply mounting tasks. A completely drying spray lube is LPS1, but
    it takes at least a day or two to completely outgas. You can also find some completely drying teflon sprays, but probably not at the typical hardware store.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

For applications like that I prefer a non-spray drying Teflon lubricant. My local bicycle store always has some.

Cool. Thanx team LF.

Quick practical advice advice as usual.

I was there was a forum like this for all of life's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    So, my cutting head is not really running across the rails smoothly. I'd like to clean them and apply something to make it smoother. I'm assuming oil is out of the question as it will attract dust correct? What about some type of dry graphite??
    i had this happen to a cutter i had ....took it back and got another ...but they said the problem was that i picked the cutter up from the rails. My new cutter has worked perfectly for years as i am very careful how i grab it to move it.....

I take a sheet of baking/wax paper, the brown stuff, and cut it a few times. It does a wonderful job of ever so gently lubricating my Rotatrim. But it does sounds like yours is a little more poorly...
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    i had this happen to a cutter i had ....took it back and got another ...but they said the problem was that i picked the cutter up from the rails. My new cutter has worked perfectly for years as i am very careful how i grab it to move it.....
    You mean that isn't a handle?!?!?!?! Doh!

lol lol i am 61 ...do you have any idea how many lessons i had to learn the hard way.... i wish i was smarter....

I pick mine up by the rails all the time too. never occurred to me that I shouldn't so that....

There are "instructions" on the back that explicitly tell you not to do that. Fortunately, I read that when I got it. No, my issue is just general abrasion type resistance. I'm yet to try to fix it.