Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verito on 12x20

Verito on 12x20

As most of you know, the Verito is a convertible lens. Remove the front cell and you have a lens with similar qualities, but with a focal length about 1 2/3 to 2 times longer than before, albeit slightly slower (well, you can't have everything). So, in this case, my 11 1/2" ƒ/4 Verito converts to a 20" lens of about ƒ/6.9, assuming equivalent entrance pupils. Circle of illumination is increased correspondingly, if for no other reason than the longer focal length. As it turns out, 20" is a splendid focal length for 12x20 and 14x17.

The problem with the lens, or at least, my lens, is that the front cell is what holds the aperture plate on the Studio shutter.

Remove the front cell and that irreplaceable aperture plate wants to jump off the camera. Not good if you're trying to photograph overlooking an abyss (or dockside at a Maine marina). A threaded retainer, I thought, might do the trick. And while I'm at it, why not give myself the ability to use filters? And so it is, with some help from S.K. Grimes, that I got what I wanted: a retainer to fit the front threads of the Studio shutter.

And on the front it's cut for Series 9 filters, which I already had, saving the cost of expensive, new, big filters.

Plus, I can use my series 9 wide-angle shade.

Amazing how a seemingly trivial bit of aluminum can make one's life easier!

Re: Verito on 12x20

Good stuff Will. Some of the Verito's I've owned had a 1/4" ring that held the front on and allowed you to take the barrel off the front. Some did not.

So, with all the accessories on, does it still cover the 1220?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    So, with all the accessories on, does it still cover the 1220?
    Always a tricky question when referencing soft-focus lenses. It illuminates 12x20 quite amply. If you take "coverage" to mean "the area of the image to be critically sharp", then a Verito would have zero coverage. The lens is quite pleasing on 12x20, so much so that I was willing to pay Grimes good money for the adapter.

I have two series 9 shades. I'm glad I found the wide-angle one on Ebay last year. The standard shade gets quite close at the corners. I've had most of that series stuff kicking around for years. Glad I finally found a use for it!

Now if I can just figure out how to develop the film without a darkroom, I might get some work done.... Last summer I did briefly have access to a darkroom and managed to develop half a dozen 12x20 negatives, one or two of which were done with this Verito in the 20" configuration. Looked great to me, but I have no way to scan a neg that large so I can share it. To my mind, the 12x20 implies landscape ('though not necessarily). And a landscape almost implies a sharp lens (also not necessarily; Peter Henry Emerson's work is some of my favorite and it's not sharp in any sense that I can see). The Verito stopped down presents a reasonably sharp rendition, although it still carries a bit of the Verito's lovely signature. I'm looking forward to the day when I can actually get out and photograph with this kit. I hope I'll still be able to carry it then!

A darkroom! A darkroom! My kingdom for a darkroom!!

Great idea ...

Lachlan 717

I've mounted my 14 1/2" on my 7x17 without the front element, and it looks to easily cover. I need to shoot it to find out how it goes. It also illuminates the GG as a whole lens, so I might have a look at that as well.

As for processing without a darkroom, have you considered a Jobo 3063? Loading it might be a hassle, but I figured that you loaded the film in order to expose it, so just reverse the process with the 3063!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I had started looking into a 3063 drum last year, but became frustrated when it became apparent that there are some variations in them, some being better suited for ULF development than others and I didn't really know what to look for as a buyer. I may be making it more complicated than it is; I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I had started looking into a 3063 drum last year, but became frustrated when it became apparent that there are some variations in them, some being better suited for ULF development than others and I didn't really know what to look for as a buyer. I may be making it more complicated than it is; I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
    Will,

Can you please add some detail as to what these variations are? I can have a look at mine and see whether I can validate sizing etc. Also, is it worth contacting Catlab to get some more info on these drums?
    Lachlan.

No, it was concerning Beseler 16x20 drums. I'm confused in my old age! I'll look for a Jobo 3063. Perhaps that will scratch the itch to get some big negs done. Judging from ebay, it's not going to be a cheap proposition.

You could make some big BTZS tubes out of a piece of 4" waste pipe. Cap at one end, and a female adapter with threaded plug at the other. I may try it myself for this 9.5X20 I've got. That way I could play with stand development without it costing me a fortune in developer.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    No, it was concerning Beseler 16x20 drums. I'm confused in my old age! I'll look for a Jobo 3063. Perhaps that will scratch the itch to get some big negs done. Judging from ebay, it's not going to be a cheap proposition.
    Even with their size, they seem the cheapest of the Expert drum range! Go figure...
    Lachlan.