Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Graphic Battery Conversion?

Re: Super Graphic Battery Conversion?

I have the parts, I will hook that up as soon as I get time.

Sometimes the obvious is ignored.

I hope OP gets what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yes, external solenoid was controlled by flash handle with D-cells. I like electric release in any Graphic being used hand-held. It is really convenient.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I hope OP gets what he wants.
    Me too. I had the same thoughts but decided long ago that buying the proper battery is easier. Once-upon-a-time I recall seeing some plans on-line for an external battery adapter for SuperGraphic. Considered that too but decided that buying proper battery is easier.

I've looked on Amazon for the 412's as Brian recommends (thanks Brian), and they are 25.00 each. Kinda pricey. Randy Moe has illustrated some round smaller looking batteries of the same voltage for a pile on money less. I wonder if they could be rigged in place on a Super Graphic. As for my idea of re-working the electronics for a 3 volt or so solenoid, I got the idea it's best to not upset the original condition of the camera. Although it would be nice to put a couple AA batteries in the compartment and work the camera off them.

Here's what I'm wondering. I have a tapped isolation transformer I use for radio repair. When that camera gets here tomorrow, I won't have any batteries. But I do have some diodes in my parts box that can stand 117v. Wonder if I could rig up something to test the camera. No use spending $50 on 2-412 batteries if the electric shutter trip system has gone bad. Yes, I'm an admitted cheapskate. I have to be. (not complaining).

Sounds like you have basic electricity figured out. Just apply the correct DC voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    Here's what I'm wondering. I have a tapped isolation transformer I use for radio repair. When that camera gets here tomorrow, I won't have any batteries. But I do have some diodes in my parts box that can stand 117v. Wonder if I could rig up something to test the camera. No use spending $50 on 2-412 batteries if the electric shutter trip system has gone bad. Yes, I'm an admitted cheapskate. I have to be. (not complaining).

I haven't got it figured out THAT well. Here is the circuit diagram. Note the diode in it. I wondered yesterday why there would have to be a diode, till it occurred to me it must be to protect against insertion of the batteries backwards. Now it occurs to me to wonder if it would be a simple enough test of the operation to just hook up 90 volts AC straight off thee 90 volt tap of my isolation transformer, let the camera's own diode provide rectification to 45 volts, and fire the shutter switch to see if it works. If someone can point out something wrong in my thinking, I'd sure like to hear it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circuitdiagram.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	103831

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-15F20-22-5...item3367991d43
    Two 22.5v correct sized batteries for $15 including shipping. Or buy 10 for $50. Regular carbon-zinc works fine (that's what was used originally), why a big fuss? I really like the solenoid shutter release feature on my Super Graphic, something like that was such a big deal back in the day!

Peak Reverse Voltage rating of the diode has to meet or exceed the applied voltage. Anyone have the diodes part number?

Probably not a good idea. I doubt the camera's diode could take 90V

Likey!

Quote Originally Posted by brucetaylor View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-15f20-22-5...item3367991d43
    two 22.5v correct sized batteries for $15 including shipping. Or buy 10 for $50. Regular carbon-zinc works fine (that's what was used originally), why a big fuss? I really like the solenoid shutter release feature on my super graphic, something like that was such a big deal back in the day!