Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Scanners

Re: Scanners

Quote Originally Posted by pasiasty View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand your goal of "getting all the film borders each time".

Yes, hi-res lens covers 5x7, with reasonable margin.

If you don't use the scanner for documents, you may consider gluing some ridges to the glass (with some glue that you can remove easily, e.g. hot-melt one), but this may disable wet mounting.
    Some people like to scan the boarders so on internet published versions (or even some printed) you can tell it's real film and not digital

Quote Originally Posted by spacegoose View Post

If anyone has a direct to glass method to get the 8x10 placement right each time so that film borders show, using or not using the film area guide, I am interested!
    What I did was make test scan after test scan until I had the 8x10 film perfectly placed so that all borders showed equally.
    Then I marked off the position of the film on three sides.
    To do this, I placed pieces of masking tape around the glass area with arrows drawn on the tape to indicate each edge of the film.

Now, when I go to scan an 8x10 on the glass, I simply line up the film with the arrows and it's in position every time.

Thanks for the info, I think you mentioned before you put the tape on the outside plastic edges and not on the glass?

This sounds like a good method, but definitely will take some time and lots of trial and error to setup, and won't be particularly easy to line up each time, especially if wet mounting.

I guess that's the best that can be hoped for with these scanners.

Do your marks correspond with any of the ruler markings that I believe are on the plastic (I believe they're on the 4990, maybe not the V700/V750)?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Liddiard View Post
    I'm following this thread in anticipation of purchasing my first scanner for 4x5, probably an Epson, probably a 750. I briefly looked at second-hand drum scanners but the size and cost make them unfeasible for me. Fro what I can tell at this early stage, an Aztec wet mounting kit might also be a good investment?

I'm based in the UK... if anyone can point me to any resources (other than Calumet or the high street stores) nearer to my longitude then that would be very much appreciated!
    Simon, you might want to reconsider the drum option. A few months ago I had the same dilemma, then I picked up a Scanmate 4000 on ebay for under £250. The footprint is perhaps twice the size of the epson, but not huge. A friend has a 750 and had spent a lot of time setting it up to get the most of it. The first scan I did on the Scanmate blew it out of the water for detail and dyanmic range, despite being drymounted - the tranny just taped direct to the drum - and me never having used the software before. It's fantastic.

Thanks for the info, I think you mentioned before you put the tape on the outside plastic edges and not on the glass?

This sounds like a good method, but definitely will take some time and lots of trial and error to setup, and won't be particularly easy to line up each time, especially if wet mounting.

I guess that's the best that can be hoped for with these scanners.

Do your marks correspond with any of the ruler markings that I believe are on the plastic (I believe they're on the 4990, maybe not the V700/V750)?
    You're welcome.
    Yes, plastic edges, not the glass.
    It takes about 10-15 minutes of trial and error, but its pretty good once properly done.
    With wet mounting, you're kind of forced into position on your first try, and one of your borders may be a little thinner sometimes, but I know of no other way.
    The marks roughly correspond with those on my v750, but the most accurate method (until somebody comes up with a better way) is the one I tried.

To speak to Heroique's query, I was told by an engineer at Aztek (the USA Kami fluid source and scanner people) that the best focus for 8x10 and the platen lens is directly on the glass, though there could be variation between the same model units. My own limited testing shows this to be true, but I haven't done enough scans to say so conclusively...
    I'm not sure why, but the forum has almost no discussion about using the lower resolution lens (i.e., the 8x10 lens) with a mounting station. If the best film height for this lens is variable (like the high-resolution SHR lens), it might actually exist slightly above the scanner bed, not directly on it, and require a mounting station for the very best critical results.

I suspect V700/V750 users who do careful film-height calibration for the SHR lens forget that doing the same tests for the lower resolution lens might be a very good idea, and prove a mounting station produces the best results for both lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I'm not sure why, but the forum has almost no discussion about using the lower resolution lens (i.e., the 8x10 lens) with a mounting station. If the best film height for this lens is variable (like the high-resolution SHR lens), it might actually exist slightly above the scanner bed, not directly on it, and require a mounting station for the very best critical results.

I suspect V700/V750 users who do careful film-height calibration for the SHR lens forget that doing the same tests for the lower resolution lens might be a very good idea, and prove a mounting station produces the best results for both lenses.
    I bet most 8x10 shooters don't scan, they print optically hahaha

Have you checked this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeoBknfLlck
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    I got my V700 from Amazon! Delivered safely to my door.

BTW if you are using 4x5 rather than 8x10 you will find the standard holder is excellent if you don't need the film edge black borders...

RR
    Good to hear RR, thanks! I do like the idea of the film edge border but it's not critical by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Long View Post
    Simon, you might want to reconsider the drum option. A few months ago I had the same dilemma, then I picked up a Scanmate 4000 on ebay for under £250. The footprint is perhaps twice the size of the epson, but not huge. A friend has a 750 and had spent a lot of time setting it up to get the most of it. The first scan I did on the Scanmate blew it out of the water for detail and dyanmic range, despite being drymounted - the tranny just taped direct to the drum - and me never having used the software before. It's fantastic.
    Food for thought... I didn't realise drum scanners could be picked up for that sort of price. I assume they aren't in circulation now, so what are your thoughts about tech support, spare parts etc?