Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 120 on 4x5?

Re: 120 on 4x5?

+1

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    I would not use 120 on my 4x5.... a good twin lens or a Koni Omega...now there is a camera i miss. i used to do weddings with several years and years ago... fast and very reliable... then there is the Mamiya 330... another walking camera.... and i am more of a wide angle shooter...... give me a 65 or a 75 and i am in love

Am I the only one seeing two parallel discussions here; one about using 120 roll film in a 4 X 5 camera and one using a 120 mm lens on a 4 X 5 camera (with 4 X 5 film)?

Perhaps I phrased my question badly. I am asking about using a 120mm lens on 4x5.

If you can live with limited coverage, the 120 apo symmar is an excellent lens, sharp and small.

120 on 4x5?

oh ... well. i use a 127 ektar on field camera for close in stuff...it is an old graflex lens.. i use it for portraits actually as well .....i use it for everything...i am now experimenting with a paragon 7 1/2. i would not put a whole bunch of money in a 120 lens cuz the Ektar it perfect for what use it for..... Actually i am over spending money for the latest a greatest sharpest whatever. i like to see some personality in my photos...i think economy and ease of use are important factors along with the personality bokeh ect...Then i look at for the extra 500 maybe dollars will make my bottom line more..or will actually make pictures better....no not really ...the 127 cost 65 dollars ....it takes really good pictures yea the corners might not be as good ..... but if you have people noticing the blurry corners of your photos maybe it is time to take class and fix cars.

I have been using a Nikkor 120SW for years on my 8x10. I've rarely used it on 4x5. It's 90mm or wider!

The 120mm wide-angle lenses (SA, Grandagon, et al.) are going to be rather large, but will give you the coverage you need to use more extreme movements (ca. 300mm image circle give or take depending on mfg).

Plasmat designs in 120/125mm will have significantly less coverage. That said, I've been intrigued by the older Fujinon 125mm lenses. They are small, take 52mm filters and have a bit more coverage than the newer models. A 120mm Angulon (not Super Angulon) may be a good choice also, since it, too has more coverage (211mm ic) than the plasmats. You only get single-coating however. The Schneider Super-Symmar 120mm would be a good choice, albeit a little larger, but with the same image circle as the angulon.

If you can live with a little longer, there are a huge amount of 135mm lenses. My favorite for coverage is the older Wide-Field Ektar. It's still relatively small, but has a gratifyingly larger image circle than most plasmats.

Best,

Doremus

If you want small the 120 Osaka (Congo) Wide Field is a usable lens. Modern Copal shutter and MC. I've used mine on 5x7 straight on with no problems in coverage. 220mm coverage and 43mm filter size.

Drew Wiley

I'm not terribly fond of that perspective, but I do use a 240 or 250 for my typical 8x10 wide applications, and get the equivalent with a Fuji 125W - a little gem
    with superb optical performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    Anyone using a 115 Grandagon?
    I do, and it's hard to beat on 4x5.
    When I have to take only two lenses in a small kit, it's the 115 and 210; there's not much you can't do with those two lenses.
    The 115 is such a versatile lens; I use it for portraits and architecture, but it would be equally excellent for landscapes, close-up work, anything really.
    Quality-wise, it's an outstanding lens, though a little chubby.
    I've also used it in a pinch on 8x10, with only slight darkening of corners.

Yes, I'm a fan.