Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Images shot with Orthochromatic / Ortho Film / Litho

Re: Images shot with Orthochromatic / Ortho Film / Litho

4x5 Kodak Profession Copy Film, HC-110, Dilution B, 70F, 9 minutes
    ASA set at 25, f/22 @ 8 seconds.

Indian Creek, Yosemite Valley, 1995

Carbon Print. As a side note, I reprinted this neg last week. Only one attempt that was about 1.5 to 2 stops too dark. Only lost shadow detail was directly under the large rocks and it was interesting to see that all of the water has detail. Interesting to know I can bring it out, but prefer the version presented here. The small size of the image (4x5) means that the area of white water lacking information is itself small and visually/mentally (to me) does not need information to 'work'. And there is a 'feel' that there is some form to the water that we can't see...perhaps due to the fact that the area is not actually blocked up from exposure/development.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IndianCrFallsSide2.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    What is a ground station ?
    Thanks
    Martin
    I’m a pilot and quite familiar with a VOR. It stands for very high frequency Omni-directional range. It used for aircraft navigation and transmits a very precise set of radials much like the spokes of a bicycle wheel. There are 360 radials corresponding to 360 degrees. Each vor has a specific frequency plus encoded identifiers unique to that vor. Vor transmitters are located across the world creating a precise set of invisible roadways. An instrument on the instrument panel has a rosette marked in degrees, a needle that moves left and right, a flag that says to and from and a radio coupled to the indicator.

The pilot lays out a course from the point of origin to the first vor then to the second and so on. The course is determined from a navigation map and with a compas you determine the course in degrees to and from each vor plus the radio frequency of each.

When you’re preparing to takeoff you’ll put the frequency into the vor receiver and the degrees you’ll fly to the first vor. You’ll also set the flag to the to position. Once airborn you’ll see the needle on the vor indicator move either right or left and you’ll fly the direction the needle is moving until it centers. When centered you’re in the middle of the radial or highway. You’ll maintain the course keeping the needle centered until the flag flips to from which means you just passed over the vor.

Generally you’ll have two vor receivers and indicators. The second is generally setup for your second vor frequency and Route in degrees. When you cross that first vor you’ll look to the second indicator and again fly to the direction of the needle until it centers. At that point you’re on the second leg and you’ll setup the third onthe other radio. You would continue that until you’re near or at your destination.

Vor stations are often at airports near the runway and provide landing information. They can be used for a vor instrument approach in low visibility weather.

Simple isn’t it. I adopted GPS early on and haven’t used vor in years but they’re still important as a backup incase of an EMP or something that would take out the GPS system. I learned to fly navigating by vor and doing non precision vor approaches. Actuall it’s a pretty cool system and I’m glad I learned with them prior to GPS. I guess one could compare vor navigation vs GPS to film vs digital. GPS is so much faster to setup a route and in the end much more efficient but not always the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    4x5 Kodak Profession Copy Film, HC-110, Dilution B, 70F, 9 minutes
    ASA set at 25, f/22 @ 8 seconds.

Indian Creek, Yosemite Valley, 1995

Carbon Print. As a side note, I reprinted this neg last week. Only one attempt that was about 1.5 to 2 stops too dark. Only lost shadow detail was directly under the large rocks and it was interesting to see that all of the water has detail. Interesting to know I can bring it out, but prefer the version presented here. The small size of the image (4x5) means that the area of white water lacking information is itself small and visually/mentally (to me) does not need information to 'work'. And there is a 'feel' that there is some form to the water that we can't see...perhaps due to the fact that the area is not actually blocked up from exposure/development.
    Exquisite image Vaughn. I love the juxtaposition of the softness of the water against the sharp features of the rock.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    I’m a pilot and quite familiar with a VOR. It stands for very high frequency Omni-directional range. It used for aircraft navigation and transmits a very precise set of radials much like the spokes of a bicycle wheel. There are 360 radials corresponding to 360 degrees. Each vor has a specific frequency plus encoded identifiers unique to that vor. Vor transmitters are located across the world creating a precise set of invisible roadways. An instrument on the instrument panel has a rosette marked in degrees, a needle that moves left and right, a flag that says to and from and a radio coupled to the indicator.

The pilot lays out a course from the point of origin to the first vor then to the second and so on. The course is determined from a navigation map and with a compas you determine the course in degrees to and from each vor plus the radio frequency of each.

When you’re preparing to takeoff you’ll put the frequency into the vor receiver and the degrees you’ll fly to the first vor. You’ll also set the flag to the to position. Once airborn you’ll see the needle on the vor indicator move either right or left and you’ll fly the direction the needle is moving until it centers. When centered you’re in the middle of the radial or highway. You’ll maintain the course keeping the needle centered until the flag flips to from which means you just passed over the vor.

Generally you’ll have two vor receivers and indicators. The second is generally setup for your second vor frequency and Route in degrees. When you cross that first vor you’ll look to the second indicator and again fly to the direction of the needle until it centers. At that point you’re on the second leg and you’ll setup the third onthe other radio. You would continue that until you’re near or at your destination.

Vor stations are often at airports near the runway and provide landing information. They can be used for a vor instrument approach in low visibility weather.

Simple isn’t it. I adopted GPS early on and haven’t used vor in years but they’re still important as a backup incase of an EMP or something that would take out the GPS system. I learned to fly navigating by vor and doing non precision vor approaches. Actuall it’s a pretty cool system and I’m glad I learned with them prior to GPS. I guess one could compare vor navigation vs GPS to film vs digital. GPS is so much faster to setup a route and in the end much more efficient but not always the most fun.
    Dom, thanks for the explanation

VOR sounds like hard work, although I expect it feels like quite a sense of achievement when you have used it (successfully).

Martin

I've shooting regent royal hard dot film on a Polaroid 110A converted to 4x5, then developing them in D-23. I find exposure is pretty critical, otherwise the negative is too dense or too thin. I started shooting lith because it was so much cheaper, but have learned to appreciate the unique qualities of lith film, and will continue to shoot it in the future, especially since making my 8x10 camera...

Here's an example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polalith250001.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	237482