Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home done CLA Compur Questions

Re: Home done CLA Compur Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Service shops use ultrasonic cleaners for that.

A DIY effort might use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, if it was rather large and powerful.
    A tiny one like I've seen advertised would likely not clean out the grease in the escapement.

The most critical factor in a shutter rehab is putting new lubricants of the proper type in the proper quantity in the proper places. This can be more of a challenge than it might seem.
    It does require that ALL old lubricant be removed first.

This applies to the entire shutter mechanism, not just the escapement.

- Leigh
    I have an older one by Branson, but it was made for jewelers, not consumers. I use it quite a bit and it does a fine job. Also, be sure to get the parts basket - it reduces the chances of damaging the parts against the bottom of the tank and also makes the bottom less likely to erode with long use.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I have an older one by Branson, but it was made for jewelers, not consumers.
    The intended market is not nearly as important as the power.

Also, be sure to get the parts basket...
    The basket is mandatory for any size except the real tiny wimpy ones.

Parts resting on the bottom of the stainless steel tank will wear a hole in it.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Not wanting to sound ignorant, but there's no way I could justify having some fancy ultrasonic dooflotchie. So on something like the escapement assembly or other parts, I just get the steel lid off a 5lb can of ink, and put the escapement or whatever in it and squirt a bunch of blanket wash (naptha) in it to allow it to bathe in it, and I swab it and dab it, and slather it out real well with a good quality artists paint brush, and swish it around to rinse it out with fresh naptha I squirt all into it, then lay it out on a new linen rag and cover it up to keep dust from settling in it till it dries and I'm ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    Not wanting to sound ignorant, but there's no way I could justify having some fancy ultrasonic dooflotchie. So on something like the escapement assembly or other parts, I just get the steel lid off a 5lb can of ink, and put the escapement or whatever in it and squirt a bunch of blanket wash (naptha) in it to allow it to bathe in it, and I swab it and dab it, and slather it out real well with a good quality artists paint brush, and swish it around to rinse it out with fresh naptha I squirt all into it, then lay it out on a new linen rag and cover it up to keep dust from settling in it till it dries and I'm ready for it.
    FFS. I paid $10 for mine that I mentioned above. The big one (which uses a transmitter tube to drive the tank) was free. Get real if you want to do this competently, you'll have to spend at least some money. Photography is not for the penurious.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

FFS. I paid $10 for mine that I mentioned above. The big one (which uses a transmitter tube to drive the tank) was free. Get real if you want to do this competently, you'll have to spend at least some money. Photography is not for the penurious.
    Thanks EvH, but there isn't going to be any ultrasonic machine anytime soon. Not with the health insurance increase I got in the mail yesterday. I'm about to be a whole lot "penuriouser". Just have to make do. I'll get my shutters right.

(Shrek)

Photography is not for the penurious.
    Says who? My entire LF habit is financed by whatever photo-related crap I'm able to fix up and sell. No, I don't have any fancy new lenses or fancy old lenses for that matter (not the soft focus kind, anyway). No, I don't buy fresh 8x10 film at $16/sht. But I'm out there every other day making photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    My entire LF habit is financed by whatever photo-related crap I'm able to fix up and sell.
    It wasn't all that long ago that people could actually make a living repairing photo equipment.

I did.

Now you're lucky to recoup your out-of-pocket expenses on a repair, and zero for labor.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

"So on something like the escapement assembly or other parts, I just get the steel lid off a 5lb can of ink, ..."

before you remove the escapement unit mark the location on the shutter body, it can be moved in & out to adjust the shutter timing and you will need a starting point on re-assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    "So on something like the escapement assembly or other parts, I just get the steel lid off a 5lb can of ink, ..."

before you remove the escapement unit mark the location on the shutter body, it can be moved in & out to adjust the shutter timing and you will need a starting point on re-assembly.
    Thanks!