Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home done CLA Compur Questions

Home done CLA Compur Questions

This should be a short thread, because of the nature of the question. I have here a very nice 135 Schneider in a Compur shutter on a Crown Graphic Special. The shutter is in never-used condition, but upon testing the speeds with my [pretty reliable] home-made tester, the speeds are all slow out-of -tolerance. It obviously needs a disassembly and clean-up and re-lube.
    So soon is my question with a qualifier--I NEVER get beaten; I can fix anything EXPERTLY. That said, many times it requires marathons of obsession. I don't want to go there on this repair. I have learned how to disassemble a Graphex shutter, throw the parts in a bag and shake it up, and re-assemble it working. If I open up this Compur, am I liable to find pretty much the same thing? Thanks.

Re: Home done CLA Compur Questions

Show us your video proof, and I have 10 shutters for you.

Actually when I took Suzuki motorcycle school they did just that. They took 3 of the new 1979 4 stroke engines, fully disassembled, put them in one pile, and challenged us to get them running. Mine ran, nobody else got close.

I have yet to try a shutter...

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    This should be a short thread, because of the nature of the question. I have here a very nice 135 Schneider in a Compur shutter on a Crown Graphic Special. The shutter is in never-used condition, but upon testing the speeds with my [pretty reliable] home-made tester, the speeds are all slow out-of -tolerance. It obviously needs a disassembly and clean-up and re-lube.
    So soon is my question with a qualifier--I NEVER get beaten; I can fix anything EXPERTLY. That said, many times it requires marathons of obsession. I don't want to go there on this repair. I have learned how to disassemble a Graphex shutter, throw the parts in a bag and shake it up, and re-assemble it working. If I open up this Compur, am I liable to find pretty much the same thing? Thanks.

Is that 10 shutters for me to keep, or 10 shutters I have to fix for you? If they're for me, I'll fix 'em all and flip them. Anything to not have to pay bills running a printing press.
    BTW--The camera is perhaps the last remaining Graflex that has never been sold at retail or used. A Crown Special that once was in-stock at Camera Corner of NC, later absorbed by Camera World of Charlotte, remained in the private ownership of Jack King, the owner. Passed briefly for a month into the hands of Danny Fafard, an employee, who seems to have been the last person to see the box in 1977. The camera never left the store, as Danny's wife got a good job for the family and they moved to Georgia. The camera then went to the private home of Mr. King, who offered it to me in/about 1997. I've kept it protected since. I'm contemplating bring it "down off the blocks and driving it". It might get scuffed. I'd rather get the shutter in top shape and get rid of it.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If I open up this Compur, am I liable to find pretty much the same thing? Thanks.
    Hi Henry, or Tom. You will find generically similar, but very different innards. Good luck.

Henry, Henry.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Henry, Henry.
    Tom1956, Tom1956.

(Shrek)

I have learned how to disassemble a Graphex shutter, throw the parts in a bag and shake it up, and re-assemble it working. If I open up this Compur, am I liable to find pretty much the same thing? Thanks.
    Yes, easily.

um, wouldn't it be more efficient to take it apart carefully, cleaning what is needed, and then putting it back together?

Got to admit, if you too apart a Leica M (M3, M2, M4), put it in a bag, shook it up, I could re-assemble it, but, on something I was doing for the first time, I'd do it more systematically.

YMMV

I love self-styled 'experts'. I've made a small fortune from their misguided efforts over the years.
    If you take it apart, put it in a bag, and shake it up - odds are it won't be worth reassembling. Anyone with real skill and experience would know this.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I didn't take it apart and mix it up. I followed the Graflex repair booklet to the letter, and laid the parts out in order as I went, along with shooting photos. But if you gave me another one all mixed up, I could put it together again and have it firing within 5-10% accuracy. It's called paying attention to what you're doing, and don't move on from step to step without a perfect understanding of what you're doing. If you reach a stump, understand it before moving on, or put it back together un-fixed. No excuses for knucklehead work.