Thread: Lightmeter Sekonic

Lightmeter Sekonic

Hi my friends,

do you think a http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-758dr/overview.aspx
    (L-758DR DigitalMaster) can replace my minolta spotmeter f, because i need also a felxible lightmeter for studio work.
    I don´t want to miss the great spotmeter function from my minolta spotmeter f.

does anybody have experience with this unit?

best michael

Lightmeter Sekonic

I don't have and have never used a Minolta spot meter but I have a Sekonjc 758D meter and it functionals perfectly well. It has everything you might need in a light/spot meter and a bunch of stuff you probably won't. You may want to save a few $ by getting the D version rather than the DR unless you plan to use it with pocket wizards.

Re: Lightmeter Sekonic

Unless you want to use calibration feature - 758 is overkill for you. Sekonic has plenty of models with spots in them, including zoomable one. Unless you getting it for free of course (zoom one is still kinda cooler for spotting)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

One of the real advantages of that family of meters when used for studio work is the extensive flash metering capabilities. As a spot meter, it is a very capable meter.

Hi Michael,

Unless you like wasting money, I suggest you ignore the L-758.
    It's a L-558 on steroids, with added features that you'll never use, and almost double the price.

I have the L-558, the direct predecessor of the L-758.

It has a very accurate 1° spot meter, along with every conceivable metering function.

The L-558 is no longer in production, but readily available on the used market.

The 558 (and other Sekonic models) will trigger PocketWizard II flash remotes when you push a button.
    The PWII remotes, and the module inside the meter, must conform to EU standards for use in Austria.

Those are available. If you buy a used 558, make sure it has the proper module installed.
    It may have no module installed. They were an option, sold separately for the L-558.

Modules for use in the US have an FCC logo. You don't want that.
    I don't know how EU modules are marked.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Michael,

Unless you like wasting money, I suggest you ignore the L-758.
    It's a L-558 on steroids, with added features that you'll never use, and almost double the price.

I have the L-558, the direct predecessor of the L-758.

It has a very accurate 1° spot meter, along with every conceivable metering function.

The L-558 is no longer in production, but readily available on the used market.

The 558 (and other Sekonic models) will trigger PocketWizard II flash remotes when you push a button.
    The PWII remotes, and the module inside the meter, must conform to EU standards for use in Austria.

Those are available. If you buy a used 558, make sure it has the proper module installed.
    It may have no module installed. They were an option, sold separately for the L-558.

Modules for use in the US have an FCC logo. You don't want that.
    I don't know how EU modules are marked.

- Leigh
    Pay attention to the above text marked in red. This is a very common problem of people outside purchasing US-based equipment, or vice versa(heck, I purchased a 558R that turned out to be a Euro(non-FCC) version, seller was willing to take a return due to his non-stipulation of that fact).

thank you all for those great tipps michael

I own a L758DR and it is truly a wonderful meter. I have never owned, or even used, any other hand held meter, and on the same token, I have no desire to ever own or use any other handheld meter. I bought this meter when I bought my first LF camera, a Crown Graphic, a few years ago. You might say that this meter is overkill, especially for starting out, and I would have to agree. There are several features that I haven't even messed with and maybe never will. I bought it used in brand new condition from a college student who bought it for school and didn't need it anymore for $300. That was too good of a deal to pass up, and like I said, as long as this meter continues to perform accurately and relaibly, I will never need anything else. If you can find one used at a good price, maybe equal or a little less than a new 558, then why not? If you can get a better deal on a 558, well, I seriously doubt you would ever want for anything more as well. Either way, you can't lose.

If you're buying new I'll second the 758DR - perhaps overkill but quality kit. It's not too big to make it unweildy, batteries last ages (and there's a bit in the pouch for you to pop a spare in).