Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: An Arca-Swiss user looking for another compact field camera

An Arca-Swiss user looking for another compact field camera

Thank you for all ryplies.

Finally, I choose the DLC45. Does Canham GG protector come with the DLC? Or do I have to buy it seperately?

This is a follow up on my decision. I've used my Canham for a week now. In a nutshell, I agree with most comments by Michael Mutmansky, the reviewer of this camera. Below are my observations.

1. The lack of swing detent doesn't bother me because I hardly use it in the field.

2. There is a slight (by 0.3mm) movement of lens boards when locked down. I use original Canham board. It's easy to fix this problem by attaching a piece of sticker to the front standard. It works nicely.

3. The focusing screen/Fresnel combo is very pleasing, a bit better than my Arca-Swiss 45 FC field.

4. There are a few updates comparing to older DLC.
    - Now there is also a circular level on the front standard though I don't think it is useful. It might cause confusion because sometimes the two level are not the same even when the camera is in neutral position that makes you think that both standard unparalleled. I think that this will not affect final result, just annoyance for someone who get used to higher precision cameras like Arca-Swiss.
    - Another update is a protruding bar to prevent overtightening the focus lock lever.
    - The focusing gear tracks are black instead of yellow (brass). I'm not sure whether the material was changed or how it will affect focusing.

5. Graflock machanism is very crude and this is the most important for me since I bought this camera to use with Horseman 612 back only.

6. As for the problem that the back of bellow will fall out when rotating the rear frame, the solution is double-sided adhesive tape but it only works if you don't use bag bellow.

7. I also bought a GG protector. It's really nice but a bit hard to remove. To solve this problem, I used a piece of abrasive paper to rub it.

8. Canham lens boards are 1mm. thicker and slightly heavier than Arca-Swiss 110mm. boards.

All in all, the DLC is a nice camera for field use and as with any cameras there are some compromises. I think it takes time to love this camera and use it effectively. I didn't return this camera though Jeff at Badger Graphic allow me to do so. The more I use my DLC, the more I love it and the more I love the excellence of my Arca-Swiss at the same time. Now I can pack my DLC, five lenses and 612 back inside Lowepro Mini-Trekker AW.

Keep in mind that the above comments are from someone who have just used the DLC for a week or so. You might disagree with me.

I forget to tell that I can setup my DLC pretty fast, about half a minute but I don't unlock both swing levers when folding down. I don't mind that these levers protrude from the main body.

update : now arca swiss produce a camera that fits perfectly the request : arca F line compact field orbix in 140 !