Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: An Arca-Swiss user looking for another compact field camera

An Arca-Swiss user looking for another compact field camera

Hi Wisawa, Ebony doesn't seem to be doing well so far, so here's a contribution from a 45S owner! I think that my camera fulfils all of your 3 criteria rather well. Smoothness/rigidity -- no problem, equal to AS in the field, and I suspect better than the DLC. Compact, yes, coupled with greater ease of set-up compared to the DLC. Lenses, 55-270 on flat panels at infinity. I use a 300mm lens on a top-hat panel, with no problem. Longer lenses would have to be telephotos on this camera. Durability, I'm not familiar with Thailand but I can assure you that the minor inconvenience of wood swelling and contracting with temperature and humidity swings can be easily sorted with the help of a no 0 Phillips screwdriver. It's only the changes that bring about a need for adjustment; if your country is hot/humid all the time, then there's no problem! Unless you need really long lenses, you may be best served with the 45S. My fellow Brit and LF photographer Paul Owen could give you his experience with the Ebony 45SU, which does have longer extension than the 45S.

Jean-Louis Llech

Wisawa,
    in order to respect your priorities, I'll take them one by one :

1. For a man who get used to the smoothness/rigidity of Arca-Swiss, the camera should not be far behind it in this aspect. I don't know which one comes closest to my Arca.
    About smoothness and rigidity, the Linhof Master Technika is second to none. Focusing and movements (Front rise and fall is geared, very interesting for heavy lenses) are very smooth, but, once locked, rigidity is unbeatable.
    The rigidity of the triple extension bed (400mm) with a Schneider Apo-Tele-Xenar 5,6/400 Compact MRC (weight : 1kg, length : 11,6cm) is the best I've ever seen.

2. Compactness is my second important factor. I think all three cameras are comparable in this aspect.
    About compactness, the Master Technika folds like an Ebony 45S or a Titan, but with the smoothness of metal cameras.
    The overall dimensions (folded) are 18cm x 18cm x 11 cm, and once opened, the extension of the bellows is 430mm. The weight is 2,6 kg without lens and back.
    Opening the camera lasts about 20 seconds.

3. The camera must be usable with 75-300mm lenses at least. The longer lens are preferable that I think the DLC wins.
    The Master Technika can be used with lenses from 72mm to 400mm on the focusing rail. You can use also 58 and 65mm wide angle lenses inside the housing.
    The total extension of the Master Technika is 430mm.

4. Durability. Since I live in Thailand that is very hot and humid, this is also an important factor that makes me sway from Ebony.
    The durability of a Linhof camera is also second to none. Metal cameras are sturdier and more solid than wooden ones. Atmospheric factors have less influence on them. You don't even need to lubricate it !
    A Master Technika is a camera bought for a lifetime. Metal components (Aluminium cast alloy and high-precision machined parts) will always have less reactions to humidity than wooden cameras, even if I consider that the teck is a very solid wood.
    When a wooden camera falls down, (it happens...) it bursts and is practically always broken. The wood joints never resist to a violent shock.
    When a metal camera falls down, an alloy piece may be broken, and can be repaired or changed, but the whole camera will never be totally destroyed!

I've been using the Master Technika for several years, and in my opinion, you should not neglect this solution, even if, after all, you buy another one. It would be an error that you would regret in the future.
    If you work very often with wide angle lenses, look at the Technika 2000, and also the Technikardan 45S.

The Linhof website is here.

Octogenarian

Jean-Louis,

With all due respect, the Ebony 45S and 45SU are designed for wide angle photography and do not fold. They are faster to set up, but not as compact or rugged as a wooden or metal folding camera for backpack hiking. The Linhof was not on Wisawa's list of camera choices

Frank,

The Walker has the reputation for being a wet weather camera. That's why I recommended it for use in the climate of Thailand. As much as I like the camera, I don't believe that my Ebony SV45TE would hold up as well as the Walker under conditions of extreme moisture and humidity. Even though it's corners are reinforced with titanium.

Probably breaking some rule but I feel victimized ;-)

There is an Arca Field 4x5 with the smaller front end. You could purchase this and use the front standard for your field camera. I'd be interested in purchasing the remaining standard for my own use, and I'm sure the other parts would be useful or easy to resell on eBay. Contact me off-list if this is interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3832095076&rd=1

Thank you all of you guys.

Actually, My Arca is a field model (69 front+45back) that I still think it's too bulky and force me to use Nature Trekker AW instead of Mini Trekker AW. The difference weight of these bag alone is 1 kg. or so. I forgot to tell you guys that I intend to use this camera with Horseman 612 rollfilm back only. That leads me to think about buying another compact field camera. Unfortunately, the Linhof Master Technika is out of my budget and not easily found used here.

Now I'm only interested in metal field camera because of humidity concern. That leads me to Toyo 45AII, Canham DLC45 and Walker Titan SF. Canham seems to be most interesting because of lighter weight and excellent bellow but I've also read some negative comments about its rigidity. Toyo 45AII is also good to me since I can buy it here at lower price than in the US and there are only a few comments on Walker Titan so I don't know much about this camera - maybe it's not a popular camera in the US. I would have made my mind easily if I could try all these cameras hands on.

Tim, I already read all posts on your thread.

All in all, thank you very much.

Buy a USED Technika. The biggest problem you're going to have is switching lensboards, as I doubt there is a 110mm to Linhof tech adapter. Same for the Toyo and everything else too.

FWIW, I've had the Technikas and the Crowns in a Lowe Mini-Trekker. If you're only using 6x12 and few lenses, it is a nice kit.

"Probably breaking some rule but I feel victimized."

Frank - Can I quote you on that?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

How about a Horseman FA? Weighs about the same as the metal Canham but faster to set up.

I have a friend who uses a 300 on his with an extended board of some sort.

Bob, the FA is more expensive here than 45AII without any better features IMO.

Now I would like to ask a few questions.

1. Is a Toyo recessed board necessary for 75mm lens if I only need a few movement, mainly tilting?

2. Can I modified my Arca 110mm boards to fit Canham/Toyo boards? Or is there anyone have already done this?

3. Are Toyo and Canham board interchangable? Which brand is better? I know that a Canham board is cheaper.

4. I've read an review of DLC45 on this site. The reviewer said that both standards will be pushed apart causing both them unpalarelled by compressed bellow when using a short lens. The problem is I don't know how short is short enough. Will my 75mm lens with slight movement cause this problem?

Thanks.

1. For a man who get used to the smoothness/rigidity of Arca-Swiss, the camera should not be far behind it in this aspect. I don't know which one comes closest to my Arca. THE NEW AND LIGHT ARCA SWISS MISURA

2. Compactness is my second important factor. I think all three cameras are comparable in this aspect. THE NEW AND COMPACT ARCA SWISS MISURA

3. The camera must be usable with 75-300mm lenses at least. The longer lens are preferable that I think the DLC wins. THE NEW AND VERSATILE ARCA SWISS MISURA

4. Durability. Since I live in Thailand that is very hot and humid, this is also an important factor that makes me sway from Ebony. ...ARCA SWISS MISURA ?

Actually, i've just bought a seconhand ARCA SWISS F LINE COMPACT 4X5, and for my needs, it's more desirable than the misura (more movements for architecture and a lot less expensive !), but the camera you describe looks like the Misura with is great orbix system !

And it take the same lens board as your previous camera !