Thread: Lyson inks, satisfaction, and tech support

Lyson inks, satisfaction, and tech support

I so enjoyed the recent discussion on B&W digital printing for large format, especially because I am experimenting with this more and more. What is more, I have recently purchased a second Epson printer (SP925-- I know, a LOT lower-end than what many of you are using, but its in my budget) with the plan to designate it as a full-time photographic printer.
    One of the aspects of the discussion that intrigued me was the "down on Lyson" tone that I picked up. I have two main questions regarding Lyson inks and the prevailing attitude toward them:
    <UL>
    <LI>In snooping around the Lyson website, it appears that they are currently hiring for the position of technical support assistant, which could be an explanation for the complaints of technical no-service-- if they are without a tech support rep, they may have too much of a backlog to get around to with any expediency. Question #1: would this theory mesh with your experiences, those of you who have used Lyson inks and tech support?
    <LI>Question #2: Apart from technical support complaints, what is the general satisfaction with Lyson inks-- especially the monochrome inks, and even more especially the "Quad Black" monochrome inks? What papers work well (or really don't work well) with these?
    </UL>
    I am mostly curious because these (the Quad Black) inks are now available for the Epson SP925, which is/was a VERY affordable printer with great digital results. In other words, I would be able to afford (on a married-with-children graduate student's budget) to set up a designated B&W printer capable of 8x10s very inexpensively. However, the quality of the Lyson inks is still an unknown to me.
    Thanks for your responses.

FWIW remember that you will void any Epson warrenty by using anyone else's ink. May not matter but something to thinkk about.

This is sort of only half on topic, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I got a new laptop a few months ago and it came with a "free after mail-in rebate" printer. I figured I'd just sell the Epson C84 on e-bay and pocket the money coming out that much farther ahead. Of course, I didn't count on the fact that everyone and their cat was doing the same thing and Epson C84s were selling for less than my starting price of $30.

MIS recently introduced a b&w inkset for the C84 though, and I figured that it would be worth trying. After all, even if I ruined the printer it would only be a $30 loss (or breaking even since I got the rebate).

I have to report that the b&w prints look pretty darn nice. Maybe 95% of the custom hand-done ones that I've paid to have done. Of course, there's the problem that when I put garbage into the printer, great prints don't come out...

Anyway, these third party ink sets definitely do work to turn your printer into a decent b&w printing machine. (even though this sentence sounds stupid if you think about it too much)