Thread: How to clean the INSIDE of glass on I-900 Microtek scanner

How to clean the INSIDE of glass on I-900 Microtek scanner

I just received my new scanner via FedEx. It's brand new but there is dirt on the INSIDE of the glass about the size of a dime.

Does anyone know how to remove the top plate so I can clean it. I would hate to send it back already and it would be nice to know later on in case lint gets inside since this is the scanner with the tray in the middle. I hope it was okay to post here. I'm new to the forum. Thanks, Dean

I owned a ScanMaker 4, which is built on the same or very similar chassis. It should be relatively easy to remove the top of the chassis to clean the glass. I did this one time with my ScanMaker 4 in order to clean the glass, mirrors and lens. Remove the scanning lid and look for top case screws. If I remember correctly there were 4 on the bottom and maybe two where the top cover hinge pins fit. I don’t remember if it was necessary to unplug any wiring. Sorry I can't be more exact. I do remember the whole job took less than 30 minutes. I'm considering this scanner to replace my Epson 2450. Please let us know how you like it. Particularly I'd like to know how well it resolves detail and how clean the scans are in dark areas of transparencies. Is this your first LF capable film scanner?

Good Luck...

Thanks for the tip. This appears to be designed differently. I also have a Microtek 4800 and there is a screw under each hinge area. I have cleaned it that way in the past. The i900 doesn't have any screws on top. There is a 3/8" hole in the middle on the hinged end. It looks like that may be a clue but it's made for a special tool. Looks like some plastic prongs need to be pushed inward and maybe that will release that end.I guess I'll call Microtek tomorrow and ask them. I would hate to break it.

Yes..I'll let you know how I like it. It will be my first film scanner. Looks like the scan wizard will be more involved.

Thanks, Dean

Hi, I have an 1800f and the method is to loosen the screws, clean the glass and screw it together again. There are precise loctors in the scanner. The factory recommended this method to me. I think it is a good idea to be able to clean it, you can't keep dust out and have a glassless carrier...EC

Do not have your scanner but a CanoScan D 2400U.

I recently had a problem with black specs on the underside of the glass. There was no way I clould see of getting into the inside without disturbing the electrics. I found a small metal plate with four screws on the underside.

I removed the screws and found just enough room to get a lenght of polythene tube inside - in the vicuity if the specs/dirt.

I attached the tube to my enlarger vacume suction dust remover with selo tape. The specs/dirt was quickly removed at the first pass!

Hello again, Once again thanks for all the feedback. I finally got a hold of Microtek VIA email and also later in person. Two different responses which I thought were odd.

The email from tech support told me the warranty would be void if I took the scanner apart. They told me to send it back.

I called later that day and live support told me how to take the top glass lid off. It was very simple. It "was" the 3/8 hole in-between the hinge lid holes. All I had to do was push down( very lightly) inside the hole and it pushed a circular tab away to release the top. I then slid the top away from me and was able to take it off. The problem I see now is the piece that springs back up to retain the top glass lid is made of plastic. If the tab were spring steel I would feel much better about it. If you push too hard I can see the plastic tab breaking before long. I would prefer 2 screws than this quick release design. I DON'T understand why the manual didn't show how to remove the glass lid. It's obvious by design that they intended for the user to be able to take the lid off without tools.

I have only used the i900 so far just to do come scans of old 35mm color slides. It worked very well. I did notice the Microtek Wizard Pro I loaded interfaces with Adobe Photoshop 7 and changed the Photoshop software where I have to go to another menu to save a jpeg for the web. I guess I'll get used to it. I just didn't expect that to happen. I'll post more info later on how well it works on the other formats. Thanks, Dean

All you need to do is take a pencil or pen to push down inside the hole to release the glass and the top holder. The plastic piece is quite firm and takes a lot to break it. I've dealt with many of these for various customers and am quite apt to breaking things but never one of the plastic pieces.

Once you have the glass top out use a lint free cloth and some alcohol to clean the glass. You can use windex but if you get weird colors or streaking take it off again and use alcohol as it works quite well.

Jeremy