Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's going to cost...

What's going to cost...

...to get into a large Format "kit" these days?
    I got my stuff for pennies on the dollar when everyone was migrating to digital photography, but what's the situation today?
    I get asked this often when I'm set up in an area where tourists frequent.
    If you wanted to acquire, say, a 4x5, a tripod, some holders, a light meter and one lens on a budget, what would you look for and how much do you think it would cost? And where would you suggest looking for it?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: What's going to cost...

I'd advise looking on Forums like this one or APUG.

You could get a field camera or monorail, a lens, light meter and tripod. A Cambo monorail plus a 203mm Ektar or similar plus a couple of darkslides should be about £200/$310, and a reasonable tripod and meter would be less than £100/$155. There have been some bargain filed cameras on this forum it's a better place for buyers than ebay.

Ian

I'd look at MPEX, KEH, Ebay. Like you, I got into this inexpensively when the wave was digital and film cameras were falling dramatically in price. Prices for 4x5 gear are still pretty reasonable,in my book although prices seem to have gone up a bit for 8x10 and larger. My least expensive purchase of 4x5 gear came about six or so years ago: a Calumet CC-400 4x5 monorail from Ebay for $37.50 (including shipping!) and a older Fujinon 150mm f/6.3 lens in Seiko shutter for $67. Plastic Lisco, Fidelity, Riteway etc. film holders are widely available for $5 each, sometimes less. My focusing loupes were free, in exchange for helping someone carry auction goods out to their car. I just got a third Bogen tripod with head off local Craigslist for $40. My main 4x5 camera is a Wisner-made Zone VI I bought a few years ago from Midwest Photo for $440. I'd probably have to pay closer to $600 to get one from a retail source now but there are still serious bargains out there if you are patient and resourceful, especially if you're willing to use a monorail or an older camera. Prices of 150mm and 210mm lenses are the lowest I've ever seen and $200 will buy choice from a wide assortment of lenses on Ebay. I think that one could put together an excellent, modern kit for under $1000 easily and under $400 if clever. If you're determined, I'll bet you could put together a one-lens monorail kit for $200 or less.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

The bargains continue to be available. With a bit of work and patience and depending on want they want someone should be able to get started for $150-$400 for body, lens, film holders, meter and a tripod if needed.

How close are you to clovis ca
    I will be selling cut film holder soon for less than $10.00 each
    I become more luck on the cost on finding a 4x5 camera try Pawnshops and Ebay

Good luck
    Dave

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'd first ask around. Few people get into large format in a vacuum; usually the buyer will have friends in the lf area, or be in some sort of photo club or group, or be taking classes. Asking in the right circles often turns something up. If there's a local yearly camera show, that's a prime place.

Barring that, Craigslist, ebay, or forums like this. There are many bargains out there. Most of them are local (no matter where you are), simply because someone selling at a bargain price doesn't want to go to the hassle of packing and shipping. (Which also eats into the bargain price.) I think Terry's range of $150 to $400 for a full 4x5 kit is reasonable, with $150 being the low end for a cheap monorail.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I'm not in the market for any more gear, I'm just looking for answers to give folks when they ask me.
    Thanks
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John, like Mike says you can pick up old monorails off Ebay for $50.00 and even less. You can buy real nice later model Cambo/Calumets for $200.00 and less, original Sinar F for $300.00 or a Sinar P for $500.00.

A real nice late model Crown Graphic with lens will cost $400.00 or more (everyone says they are overpriced at this time). Older Crowns and Speeds are less and depend upon condition.

You can buy a nice wooden folder for $600.00.

You can buy normal focal length lenses in Copal shutters for $200.00.

Of course buying on the cheap you need to be patient and if you can buy someone's complete kit you can do even better.

This is what I have seen on Ebay. Craigslist should be even cheaper.

I have seen some real good deals on mint film holders still in boxes occasionally on Ebay. Well used ones should sell for $5.00 a piece.

It's hard to beat an old Leitz Tiltall if you have a Crown/Speed Graphic or wooden 4x5 field camera. You can buy these off Ebay for less than $100.00 plus shipping. Sellers practically give away tripods on Craigslist because they don't want to fool with shipping.

Light meters can be as cheap as just using your 35mm, digital camera, or phone app. I use Pentax Digital Spotmeters and a Minolta Flash Meter 4 but you should be able to buy a good used incident meter off Ebay or somewhere else for cheap.

Really? You've on this forum for twelve years and you can't guess how much a kit costs and where to get it?????????????????