Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Enlarger Lens Advise Needed

Re: Enlarger Lens Advise Needed

The Elwood bulbs are really special in only one way, they don't have writing or product numbers on the end. I broke one Elwood bulb in a move and just figured I'd replace it with a GE 100 watt bulb. No good, the writing printed out to some extent, even with the diffusion ground glass. I finally found another Elwood-appropriate bulb, and have been careful in every subsequent move to take the bulb out and protect it. I think there were actually a couple bulbs that could be used in the Elwood (sorry, no product #'s), a long neck and a short neck bulb. My 8x10 bulb socket is adjustable so that it can be moved in and out to get the bulb at the focus of the parabolic reflector. I think either the long-neck or the short-neck bulb can be used if the in-out adjustment is right. I think the same bulbs can be used in the 8x10 Elwood and the 5x7 Elwood. If I can find my box of spare bulbs, maybe I can find a product number. Basically though, you just need an incandescent bulb with no writing on it. Then adjust the bulb holder so the bulb is at the focal point of the parabolic reflecting head.

The few used bulbs I have are confusing. They are extra long neck and one is 3/4" longer than the other 2. All three are # 302 and two of them say 250 watt, the third is marked 500 watt. They all have the printing on the side by the base. They look unusually long and big in diameter.

I think they are pretty rare.

I found one guy selling 2 for $300 each and I bought one on eBay yesterday for $26 delivered.

Everybody stock up last week.

It's real close to DIY LED head time.

I guess I am going to have to experiment with different bulbs to determine what I need, then put in a stock of same. I do know what my Beseler uses so I can buy those now.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Here's some bulb info. Hope it's readable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elwood bulbs001.jpg  

Thanks for the information. Although I am unable to find a model number anywhere on my enlarger the bulb currently in the housing is labeled PH/212 150w. I have to believe that it is a 150 watt Phillips #212 bulb. Since the Eiko PH212 bulb is still available from BHPhoto I guess that means that enlarger bulbs for my enlarger should not be an issue at this point.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    Thanks for the information. Although I am unable to find a model number anywhere on my enlarger the bulb currently in the housing is labeled PH/212 150w. I have to believe that it is a 150 watt Phillips #212 bulb. Since the Eiko PH212 bulb is still available from BHPhoto I guess that means that enlarger bulbs for my enlarger should not be an issue at this point.
    These should do the job: http://bhpho.to/HrfgRn

Just before Christmas my light had a blue flash so I use just a old light 100 watt laying around the house till I got new 212.
    I do think can even find one in town today mail order only

Dave

I'm currently in the midst of a few projects but I'll chime in, I recently got a wood Elwood 5x7 enlarger ( still looking for an 8x10 to show up )
    but since this thread morphed into a Elwood enlarger bulb thread, you guys should look at Barbizon electric, they supply bulbs, lighting and grip
    equipment, and looking at whatever info I found on the web and Randy Moe's posts the old bulbs looked suspiciously like photo floods I used
    eons ago, I checked Barbizon and they have these -

http://www.barbizon.com/product_info...rew-3400k.html

They're not milk white bulbs and they're long necked about 6.93701 in long
    but they may be usable if the diffusion glass is replaced with opal glass.

Joel Edmondson

Back before I converted my Elwood 8x10 to cold-light I used regular bulbs after using automotive rubbing compound to remove the printing on the end. Initially done as a "band-aid" to get me through a weekend, I found I couldn't tell any difference so I just continued the practice. Brings back fond memories of sand-blasting and repainting the old beast... alas the only part remaining is the Aristo 810!

Joel