Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy 90mm filters for a Rodenstock 300mm f5.6 Sironar-N lens?

Re: Where to buy 86mm filters for a Rodenstock 300mm f5.6 Sironar-N lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamphotoman View Post
    You could use a behind the lens filter holder such as the Horseman Behind the lens [4 inch gel filter] holder.
    A polariser will need to be put on the front, but colour filters can be used on the back.
    I have one that might be useful to you. PM me.
    Grant, thanks. Being affected by a bad case of GAS, I have a couple of those behind-the-lens filter holders that I have never used.

I'm with Bob, I want my filters out front where I can see them.

I also bought an eBay vendor's 86 to 77 step-down adapter ring so I can try out my Lindahl filter holders and Lindahl special effects filters but it won't screw into the lens either. Dang! the lens looks pristine. I'm going to have to take a very close look with a magnifying glass and strong light to see if the lens threads are messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    And it is a great way to degrade the image as well! Filters always belong in front unless they are designed by the lens manufacturer to go somewhere else.
    Bob, why? If one is using a gel, what technical difference does it make if a filter is in front of or behind a lens? The reason I bought some of the behind-the-lens gel filter holders is so the gel would not be affected by wind or light reflections since it would be inside the view camera.

Thanks,
    Terry

Re: Where to buy 90mm filters for a Rodenstock 300mm f5.6 Sironar-N lens?

If the lens is as pristine as you're saying, I'd focus on the filters and step rings rather than the lens,
    filter threads are very fine, a munged up thread is very apparent.
    Take the lens into a camera store and try some filters there.

Jim, even in a big city like Atlanta there are very few professional-level camera stores left. And those that are left have almost nothing to do with analog photography let alone large format. However, I will call around to see if any have 86mm filters for video cameras.

Thanks,
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Jim, even in a big city like Atlanta there are very few professional-level camera stores left. And those that are left have almost nothing to do with analog photography let alone large format. However, I will call around to see if any have 86mm filters for video cameras.

Thanks,
    Terry
    PPR, Quality and Showcase will all have 86mm filters. Maybe not the best ones, but they will have them.

I bought an 86mm filter ... vendor but it screws on only 1/2 of a turn then stops....
    The modern standard pitch for an 86mm filter is 1mm, but 0.75mm or 1.25mm pitch is not unreasonable.

Also, 1mm pitch is very close to the 40 tpi (turns-per-inch) imperial thread.

If the filter was made in china, you have no idea what the pitch is, and neither did the manufacturer.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Leigh, here in Massachusetts it's 25.4mm per inch, so a 1mm pitch would be very close to 25tpi. I didn't realize Maryland used a different standard...

I suspect you were thinking inverse, as in 1mm being about 0.040".

Local isn't your only option, you can try B&H, Adorama, isn't KEH close to you ?

Thanks,
    Terry

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Terry,
    I owned that lens in some point and, as other in the thread mentioned, the filter size is 86mm x1mm.
    Not sure if you're aware Sigma (the company making many lens) also makes very good filters, including 86mm.
    I usually buy them at B&H.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I am in Canada and now pretty much go with B&H in NYC anytime. I like to buy local, but most local camera shops that this kind of stock on hand are long closed, and for the big chains here like Henrys, even the "standard" black & white filters - yellow, orange and red - are almost all now special order. I could not believe that a basic #25 red filter in 52mm (standard filter size for Nikon lenses on 35mm film and digital cameras) was a special order. So, last month, I ordered form B&H. I want to buy local, but B&H was not only less money, they were much faster.

If you still have a good local camera store that has stock, use them, but for the rest of us, even the "basics" seem to be going all mail order from the big places.

One last thought - check the used department at B&H and others. Used filter are a pretty safe thing to buy. If they are not cracked or scratched, usually they work . Myself, found a couple of excellent used filters at B&H in the odd sizes I was looking for.
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?