Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handling sheet film (loading/unloading holders)

Handling sheet film (loading/unloading holders)

You do NOT need fingernails to grab that film in your LF holders.

Take of sheet of developed film [I have lots of "mistakes" around], cut a strip about 1" wide and 2" long. Then round off one end.

In use, have this available when you unload your holders. Use this to get under the film, then try to handle the sheet only by the edges to the best of your ability. It can be done.

I use Kodak Color Clips, #149 2594 which were made for this purpose. No longer made, nor easy to find, they grip only a small portion of the negative edge. Hang the negatives with one corner up - they'll drain down to the low corner. You can dab them there with a lintless cloth. Negs dry fast that way.
    Alec

Oh, yes - clips for drying. I just use wooden clothes pins. Work like a charm. Again, clip on the corner with the notches are. They leave a little mark, but not on the image area.

Bruce Watson

Alec - great idea! A piece of developed film! If you had a long enough piece and folded it in two, you could slide one side under the film and fold over the other side on top of the film you want to remove, and remove the undeveloped film without ever touching it. I love the ideas i get from this website!!

Also, I found a temporary laundry line gadget at the local hardware store. It has a hook on either end of a elasticized laundry line. On the line are 6 plastic clothes pins which can be moved around to adjust for how you hang your film.

S

I resent that comment about "touching your nose" and film damage. Do you change the oil in your car without washing your hands before handling film? Noseoil is one of the world's finest lubricants of small parts.

BTW, what film holders are you using?

I have some older fidelity elite holders, plastic ones, that are a pain in the a$$ to remove the film. I found that sometimes if I hold it up-side-down that it is easier. I'm not sure if the newer ones are any better.

The graflex Riteway holders have a deeper indent. It is much easier to remove the film.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Dan and Darin have the answer: Don't try to pull the film up; let it drop down instead. It's much easier to get the film out of the bottom slot than the top!

Jim Ewins

I have tried leaving my negs in the hangers to dry. many of the negs stuck to the hanger. some brands of hangers worse than others. I've never a problem with wood clothes pins.