Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Deardorff Bi-Post assembly instructions needed

Re: Deardorff Bi-Post assembly instructions needed

O'boy, I am going to answer first and then check!

Great thinking, and I have been there before. I hate the clanging I get with my Arkay. I even wrapped my weight in duct tape to stop it on the Arkay, but I wrapped a bit too much!

The weight with tape would slide in and install, but with the Arkay Monostand, the very necessary tube clamp bends the tube enough that I had the lead weight with tape jammed in the middle of my Arkay tube. I got it out, barely. I had pushed the weight in from the top and it fell to the middle when I stood it up and jammed. I forgot that frustrating evening.

I will now examine this new idea.

i'll be back after dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    One additional possibility: do the rubbing blocks closely match the OD of the column tubes? Or possibly the OD of the lead counterweights, instead? Holes in the counterweights matching the spacing of the holes in the rub blocks might indicate that they were spacers to keep the counterweights from banging around so much---the ones on my stand ring like carillon bells if I so much as bump things. The felt might have been there as a damping layer, and not a sliding surface.

Come to think if it, if I ever have the weights out of mine I think that I will fabricate some spacers like that (but out of soft plastic) just to cut down on the noise!

Perhaps the mystery parts are not for the stand, but from some incidental mistakenly thrown in.

Nope, as I asked the seller, what they were, as he gave them to me. They came out of a box with 2 set's of parts for the 2 Bi-Posts he had. The box had no extra parts and he had marked everything, except these parts. He had tagged the tubes for position and stand, he also marked the base, legs, chains, cables, bolts.

He just gave me the 2 rubbing blocks and said, 'they go in the sliding blocks'.

I am going to try and get him here for assembly after I have prepped everything.

I am hoping to solve this issue here, perhaps he forgot. He said he has only taken apart the 2 stands and never assembled one.

I hope he knows, as it could be they just fell out and he does not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Perhaps the mystery parts are not for the stand, but from some incidental mistakenly thrown in.

I don't see how they could be used to stop the clanging, and the rubbing blocks have felt and wear marks on the inside of the curvature. The lead weights have no holes or witness marks, aside from sliding marks from the tube.

One additional possibility: do the rubbing blocks closely match the OD of the column tubes? Or possibly the OD of the lead counterweights, instead? Holes in the counterweights matching the spacing of the holes in the rub blocks might indicate that they were spacers to keep the counterweights from banging around so much---the ones on my stand ring like carillon bells if I so much as bump things. The felt might have been there as a damping layer, and not a sliding surface.

Come to think if it, if I ever have the weights out of mine I think that I will fabricate some spacers like that (but out of soft plastic) just to cut down on the noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    He just gave me the 2 rubbing blocks and said, 'they go in the sliding blocks'.
    Okaaaay, so what would be the " sliding blocks" the weights ?

Randy,

I recently completed a complete teardown and rebuild of the exact same stand. The friction block do mount inside of the collars that slide up and down the pipe. There are eccentric brass levers on the side of the collars that when turned clamp the pipe to the collar. They are just an additional method of locking the collars tight. i hope that helps. Cutting the pipe was the easy part. I just used a grinder and a cut off wheel, use wide tape to draw a line around the tube and go for it. The tops of the tubes don't need to be absolutely square as the cast top piece covers this completely. The biggest problem I had were the swedge anchors on the ends of the cables and getting the cables the correct length. There isn't a lot of adjustment for the getting the cable to the correct length. The same goes for the chain. If you need any pictures to help assembly let me know.

Joe

The lead weights have no holes or witness marks, aside from sliding marks from the tube.

Well, that pretty much kills one possibility.....

Looking very closely at the fourth picture in post #47, it seems that there are two features in the bore at the very bottom (as the part is sitting), roughly one and eleven o'clock. This would appear to be about right for the holes in the rubbing blocks, although the focus isn't all that great in the picture. I wonder if these are headless screws or pins which capture the rubbing blocks?

Not sure at this point, I 'thought' he meant sliding housing, I see no way the lead weights use this things.

Let me get the tubes shortened and then I will contact the seller, he's a busy young man with a family.

I am hoping someone who actually knows will spot this thread and provide some advice.

I think we have exhausted the investigation.

We need fresh info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Okaaaay, so what would be the " sliding blocks" the weights ?

I rolled that slider up, so here are 4 shots of what was the bottom of pic 4, post #47.

Nothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN3354.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	102855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-DSCN3355.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	102856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-DSCN3358.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	102857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-DSCN3359.jpg 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	102858

The lead weights have no holes or witness marks, aside from sliding marks from the tube.

Well, that pretty much kills one possibility.....

Looking very closely at the fourth picture in post #47, it seems that there are two features in the bore at the very bottom (as the part is sitting), roughly one and eleven o'clock. This would appear to be about right for the holes in the rubbing blocks, although the focus isn't all that great in the picture. I wonder if these are headless screws or pins which capture the rubbing blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by joe a kras View Post
    Randy,

I recently completed a complete teardown and rebuild of the exact same stand. The friction block do mount inside of the collars that slide up and down the pipe. There are eccentric brass levers on the side of the collars that when turned clamp the pipe to the collar. They are just an additional method of locking the collars tight. i hope that helps.

Joe
    For my own curiosity do you have pictures of the friction block with the attachments ?
    My suspicion has been that Randy is missing some hardware for those blocks since the stand
    has probably changed hands many times.