Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SINAR Norma System C.Koc VS Toyo VX VS Arca Swiss F

Re: SINAR Norma System C.Koc VS Toyo VX VS Arca Swiss F

Sinar Norma and especially F or f2 equipment not only is cheap (due to it having been the defacto studio standard before pros largely dumped 4x5 en masse for DSLRs) most all the pieces interchange, such as bellows. You really won't go wrong with any of the brands you mention from a functionality point of view. These were all pro grade instruments back in the day.

I would vote for the Sinar system because it is the most complete camera system including the big shutter, where you can use old lenses without shutter in front of it! And you find much more used Sinar parts then of other cameras! It was in almost every big studio!

Cheers Armin

If you've not shot LF yet to determine whether it's something you'll enjoy doing for the long term, buy a relatively inexpensive Cambo or Sinar to get your feet wet. If you don't jump at the first buy-it-now price you'll quite likely get your investment back six months or a year down the road should you decide it's not to your liking.

Another vote for Sinar, from a guy who's been working with the system for years. Only caution is that while some parts interchange for the Norma, many others do not. Not so with the F1/F2/P/P2 cameras. Everything fits everything else. That, and they don't command the cult prices that Normas do.
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

Drew Wiley

These are all very nice cameras. The Toyo VX is a bit clumsy to travel with due to the oversized lensboards. My favorite of all these choices is the Norma. All the
    major components are interchangeable with later Sinar gear: the rails, rail clamps, bellows, and lensboards. The standards are different. My Norma is only one pound heavier than a Sinar F2 comparably rigged, yet more solid, and still far lighter than a Sinar c, P or X. I have seen excellent deals on these as well as other Sinar models. The key consideration when shopping for something this old is condition and accuracy of description. Arca camera are nowhere near as common, and VX cameras even less so. For monorail applications, I had stayed with Sinar over the years due to the ease of acquiring or repairing all the necessary components.

I use adapter lens boards on my VX125 and mount all lenses on Linhof. Least common denominator among my various cameras. I always did that even with the Sinar. That large lens board does allow for a deeply recessed linhof adapter board that is still useable. I only did need it for a 47mm XL.