I am looking at one of Adrian Bregazzi's photographs in the August 1980 issue of Camera and I am perplexed as to how he achieved this image. It is unusual in that it is comprised of five alternating vertical bands of sharp and soft focus... he either cleverly used the edges of trees to emphasize the effect or the trees are producing it themselves.

A short description.... 4x5 in vertical orientation, forest image from left to right.... Left edge birch tree trunk (near distance) in sharp focus // band of background out of focus // slender tree trunk(mid distance, dead centre) in sharp focus // band of background in sharp focus // band of background out of focus // slender tree trunk (mid distance right edge) very out of focus.

I perused the block illustrations in Stroebel's book but can find no configuration that resembles Bregazzi's image. Any ideas or web references as to how this effect was achieved would be appreciated as I would like to steal (oops... I mean 'explore') this idea for my own work.

Cheers Annie